Chapter 31: Deadlines.

Start from the beginning

Gemma tossed her purse onto the couch then strutted into the bedroom at the end of the hall, she brushed past me in the doorway and immediately began to riffle through my closet. I stood there and crossed my arms over my chest, watching as she examined all of my maternity clothes. She pulled out a midnight blue maxi dress that was tight around the bust but the hung over my fourth month pregnant belly loosely. Unlike my other maxi dresses that cling to my every curve like a second skin. I didn't understand why I had to look so nice to do a bit of shopping. Gemma was wearing jeans and a black long sleeved top, but she said I had to enhance my beauty because being pregnant was a time where I can show the world the baby without being a mother. Plus she said it'd make me glow even more to dress nicely. I didn't protest against her. She got me out of the tee shirt and jeans and into the proper bra and the midnight blue maxi dress that had thick straps that drop into a V neck.

I locked the front door after making sure everything was shut off before I left. Gemma waited for me in her car. It felt weird to be in such a low car. I'm so used to my SUV that anything else feels too strange to me.

"Have you got anything planned out for when she comes home?" Gemma questioned in a mothering way. My heart sunk with my head, I looked down at the active bump in the dress; my hands curled around it carefully. I wanted to say that Juice and I have everything planned out but he's not here and I'm a mess right now. The only things I have planned is her nursery and her name, nothing else.

I bit my lip and shook my head before bringing my gaze up to meet Gemma's green eyes. She looked worriedly at me.

"No. I have absolutely nothing planned." I replied painfully aware of the situation I'm in at the moment. Gemma frowned as we approached a red light, her hand left the steering wheel and placed it over the kicking unborn child.

"You and the boys can come and stay at the house with me." She offered kindly. I could feel the tears burn at my eyes. I didn't want to stay at Gemma's, I didn't want to have to go through this all alone. I didn't want my daughter to grow up not knowing who her daddy is.

I sighed away the sob that crawled up my throat and shook my head at her sadly.

"I can't do that to you and Clay, it's not fair to either of you." I told her in a dead tone. She rubbed thee bump then returned her hand to the steering wheel.

"Maria, you're my niece. I am these kids' great aunt. Clay is the one who brought up the idea of you staying with us for a while. No one wants you going through this alone. Besides it's either you stay with us or I stay with you." She gave me two options sternly. I couldn't contain the smile that crossed my lips. It was nice to hear that the club wants to help with the new baby and the boys, but it scared me too. No matter what I do to keep my kids away from the club, they always have a way of getting back into our lives.

"Thanks Gemma." I mumbled lowly with a crooked smile. Gemma grinned victoriously and nodded at me. I noticed when took a turn when we were meant to go straight. We were headed to Teller-Morrow. My eyebrows narrowed quizzically at her.

"Tara is at the clubhouse, she has something for the baby." Gemma told me with a smile. We pulled up into the parking lot and shut off the car. I had to have some help with getting out of the car, luckily Chibs was there to lend me a hand. He and Gemma led me into the clubhouse. I was getting suspicious by their behavior. But the moment I stepped foot in the clubhouse I knew why. Gemma and Tara must have planned this baby shower for me, no way did the guys do this without their help. Gemma has been nagging me about having a baby shower and I kept telling her that I wanted to wait until she was born before having this party when really I didn't want a baby shower at all.

I couldn't stop myself from giggling at my surprise. They had food and music, and presents. It was unlike anything I have seen before, well move been to plenty of baby showers but none of which have been in a bar so this is a first. Percy and Daylon were playing with Thomas and Abel.

After Gemma had me sit down and have some fruit to regain some energy, they had me choose six baby names; one of which was really her name and everyone had to guess which is the right name. I was going to announce who was right at the end and they'd get a goodie bag Gemma pout together. Then they had me open presents. This little girl had lots of clothes; more than the boys had put together. It seemed the guys were more excited to have a girl than the ladies were. Juice is the third club member to have a girl. Tig was first then Chibs. It made me sad when one of the prospects said that, it reminded me that Juice will never meet the daughter he's always wanted. And his baby girl will never get to know her daddy.

I kept my head down and my hands clasped together neatly in my lap. My heart was breaking on my sleeve. She kicked and stretched as hard as she could, punting me right in the hip. I didn't mind it anymore, there was no pain. I saw Gemma stare at me with a great amount of concern written on her face. She shook it off and clapped her hands to get everyone's attention.

"It's time to find out what the baby's name is!" She announced with a fake smile. I lifted my head and swayed my bangs from my face.

"Tig and Bobby think her name is going to be Emily. Happy, Clay and Jax think her name is going to be Luna. Chibs thinks her name is going to be Beau. Wayne thinks her name is Carly. Juice's mom and I think her name is gonna be April. Tara thinks it is going to be Jessica. And Juice's sister says her name is going to be Julia. And the baby's name is......" Gemma left it open for me to fill in the blanks. I felt my smile widen painfully as everyone looked at me.

"Her name is Beau Ortiz." I announced her first and last name, but her full name is Beau Carly Ortiz. Chibs was right. I thought Tara would've known what the name was since I told her I had things figured out the day I found that bow in that box of clothes Juice has been hoarding since God knows when. But no, Chibs got it.

"You're still wearing the ring." Jax observed as he sat down at the table beside me. I watched as Chibs received the goodie bag from Gemma. I looked down at the engagement ring and then back up at Jax with a weak smile.

"I don't want to. It feels like if I took it off I would be saying I didn't love him anymore. And I can't imagine myself marrying anyone else." I mumbled to him, playing with the silver band on my ring finger. Jax frowned at me and shook his head.

"You should start imaging marrying someone else because he isn't coming back. You are never going to be Mrs Ortiz." Jax was being brutal with me and it made me kinda want to punch him. In the face. Really hard. But I wore a pretty but faint smile. But my smile flipped into a frown when I realized, he was right. My heart broke even more as tears fell down my face like raindrops on a windowpane.

"Maria, nobody is assuming you didn't love him. Everyone knows you loved Juice more than any human being could possibly love someone, but it's been almost five months. You need to let him go." He added to his statement. Beau kicked me really hard in the pelvis, making me cry out in the sudden intense pain. But it didn't feel like a normal kick, that worried me. I knew that something was wrong. Something was very wrong with her. It felt like there is a knife in my back.

"Maria, are you okay?" Jax asked when I gripped the leather vest tightly, he wrapped his arm around me and called for his mother. Jax shot up when Gemma raced over to my side. She grasped my hand tightly after I managed to pry it off of Jax's vest. He stood behind me and gripped my shoulder.

"Maria?" I heard Gemma's voice say softly.

"Maria, what's wrong?" Tara asked kneeling down by my side. I shook my head in denial and looked at her.

"It's too early for contractions."