Chapter 21: Mage Students

Start from the beginning

Hawk shifted a little closer. "She makes a mean avalanche."

Looking at the Mage-Mistress with an ice lion pacing on her heels, Arien could believe it.

"Everyday mages play a vital part in the survival of Wrystan. They are our teachers, historians and scholars, our explorers and pioneers, the first line of defence along our borders and coastlines."

"Unless the king orders Mara in their direction," Arien mumbled, making his friend chuckle.

"Regardless of what your power has in store for you, young mages," Lady Evariste said, positioning herself in front of the first-years, her focus mostly on Elea, Rhoda and Perrine – the ones whose magic had yet to fully emerge. "Be proud of yourselves and grateful that you have been gifted at all. Never forget that your mage-beast is your first companion, your power and your friend. Without them you are nothing, with them you are part of a magnificent network of defence that spans the whole country, and enables our people to thrive.

"Are you ready for your power, mages?"

"Yes!" It came not only from the first-years, but all the students in the room, swept up in the memories of the moment.

The Mage-Mistress gave her cool smile. "Then let us begin."

Taking two steps back so that she was in the centre of the room, Lady Evariste cupped her hands over her chest, bowed her head and breathed in deeply. Resting her lips against her thumbs, she blew softly between them, while the ice lion by her side lowered its head.

They sighed.

A gasp rippled around the room as the Mage-Mistress' hands began to glow. The light was a deep, moody purple, so dark it could almost have been black. The pair sighed again and the light grew stronger, taking on a ruby hue, with a hint of bright sparkling blue.

Lifting her head, Lady Evariste opened her fingers to reveal a glowing ball resting on her palms. The ice lion by her side huffed triumphantly, arching her back and transforming into a glorious great grey owl, all mottled shades of grey and black, with spectacular flashes of white. Under the glow of her mage's power, the owl shone with a violet light.

Arien wasn't the only one to gasp at the impressive display. When the light faded back into Lady Evariste's palms, students and mages alike broke into applause.

The Mage-Mistress acknowledged their tribute with a graceful curtsey, holding out her arm for the owl to land on. She bobbed her head and looked around the room with piercing blue eyes.

"Now it's your turn," she announced. "Good luck." Turning in a swirl of a dark blue cloak, she left the four mage tutors to deal with the students.

Arien blinked at her unexpected departure. "Does she always do that?"

"Always," Mage Faron agreed, beckoning for Hawk, Sidony and Arien to follow him away from the others. "She likes making speeches, but she's not the best of teachers. Not for a first magic attempt, anyway."

Sidony shivered in agreement. "I don't think I could do anything with those eyes watching me, let alone an ice lion in my face. She seems so disapproving all the time."

"Not all the time," Faron chuckled. "Just most of it. Now, Hawk, would you care to show your friends how it's done, while I watch and ensure you've been practising?"

Hawk wrinkled his nose and sighed, much to Sidony's delight. Then, pulling his injured arm from its sling, he rubbed his hands together and flexed his fingers. He threw two perfect globes of golden magic into the air and started to juggle, adding a third at Sidony's hooting request, showing no obvious signs of discomfort over his dislocated shoulder.