Ch. 40

I've been throwing myself into writing to distract myself from... everything... so... have a new chapter!

Featuring snarky best friend Ned, Irondad bonding time, flustered Peter, many phone calls, recovery time, etc...

"May called."

"Oh no."

"She says, and I quote, 'tell Tony that if he doesn't get his rear back into better health, I will personally come upstate and kick it into shape myself'. End quote."

"Y'know, Pete, you don't have to field my calls."

"Nice try. You want to be on the receiving end of one May Parker when she's ranting about how dangerous it was for you to bring me to Germany while this whole shebang was going on?"

Tony draped an arm over his eyes, sighing dramatically. "Not really, no."

"I thought not. Besides. What would you do without my glorious company? You'd be stuck with Harley. And as much as I like Harley, we both know he has terrible bedside manners."

"That's very true."

Peter flipped another page in his science textbook. "'Sides, I've got more excused absences to make up for the 'conference'."

He grinned cheekily. "So you're stuck with me."

Tony's mouth lifted at the corner. "There are worse things."

"Mm." Peter flipped the textbook around. "Quiz me."

Tony squinted at the first question. "Uh... gonna need my glasses for that."

Peter handed him the black frames, and they spent the next half hour tossing questions and answers back and forth at high speeds.

When their brains were exhausted, Peter closed the book with a thud, and dropped it on the unoccupied bed with a heavy sigh. "I love science but I'm gonna scream if I have to look at it again. I've prepped for this test until my brain feels like it's gonna leak out my ears."

"Nice imagery."

"Thanks. I'm rather proud of it."

A knock sounded on the door, and a nurse pushed it open. "Afternoon boys. I've got your meds, and lunch will be here shortly. The kid's gonna have to eat in the cafeteria, though." She gave Peter a smile. "Sorry sweetheart."

"It's fine. I need to make a few phone calls anyways."

"Tell May I need a rescue," Tony whispered non-discreetly.

Peter rolled his eyes in lieu of a reply, ducking out of the room, and ambling down the hallway.

The first call was to May, of course, and he made sure to pass Tony's message on.

Her reply was along the lines of 'he'll live'.

Then Peter typed in the second number, holding the phone to his ear.

"Y'ello?"

"Hey."

"Well look at that. He knows what a phone is."

"Yeah yeah. I miss you too."

The smile in Ned's voice was evident. "What's up in the land of Peter? Why did your new best friend tell me you went to Germany? Instead of you telling me?"

"You're still my best friend, Ned. Harley's different."

The minute he said that, he wanted to slap himself.

"What." It wasn't even a question.

"I'm sorry I didn't tell you I was going to Germany?"

"Nice try Parker. How is it different with Harley?"

"Dude." Peter glanced around, ducking into a small alcove. "Swear to me you're not on the lunch room. Swear he can't hear you."

"Yeah yeah. How is it different?"

"Dude, it just is! I mean, you're my best friend, but I don't- I don't think you're..."

"Don't think I'm... what... exactly?"

"Cute, Ned. I don't think you're cute in that way."

"Oh."

"Yeah."

"Ohhhhhhhhhh."

"Shut up."

"Wait, so you-?"

"Yeah. Kind of."

"Kind of? What the frik does that mean?"

"It means I'm really freakin gay and panicking and I don't know what to do about it. All cool on this end."

"So no change."

"I repeat. Shut up."

"You love me."

"Yeah yeah. Listen, I've gotta go. I've... oh boy. I've got to call Harley after this, and try to talk without making a fool of myself, so... wish me luck."

"You're gonna need it."

"Thanks, Ned."

"Tis what I'm best at."

"Oh, and don't you dare tell MJ."

"Dude, I think she already knows. She's been telling me that you two need to get it together for weeks."

"What?"

"Oh yeah. She's been adamant. I thought she  was wrong. Guess I've learned never to doubt her."

"Oh my god. If either of you let this get out, I swear I'll murder you both."

"We love you too. Didn't you say you needed to call Harley?"

"Ugh. Yeah."

"Good luck with keeping a cool face."

"I hate you."

"Love you too."

Peter tapped end call, pressed the phone to his forehead, and stared hopelessly at the ground.

"I'm gonna die," he told it. "I'm gonna die, and it's going to be from my hopeless, unrequited gay crush on one Tennessee boy."

Deep breath, Parker, he told himself.

Last number.

Dialing.

"Nasheville crematorium, you kill 'em we grill 'em, how can I direct your call?"

"What."

"Oh hi Pete! What's up?"

"That's- uh... I'm not even going to ask. Uh... anyway. You're riding up with Happy this weekend, right?"

"Yup. Need me to bring something?"

"Yeah, I left my laptop at the tower, and I kinda need it for the test Monday. Mind grabbing it for me?"

"Sure. Anything else?"

"Maybe a few changes of clothes? I don't know how long we'll be here, but it can't hurt to have some stuff, just in case."

"Sure thing."

"Alright. Thanks. I'll let you get back to lunch, then."

"'Kay then. Seeya."

"Bye."

I feel for Peter.

I really do.