Chapter Five: My Grandfather Hates Twinkies

THE UMBRELLA ACADEMY
fragile || five hargreeves x reader

CHAPTER FIVE: MY GRANDFATHER HATES TWINKIES

Written By: peachyhxlland

°•.☆.•°

"I survived on scraps. Canned food, cockroaches, anything I could find." Five slightly chuckled as he stroked down your hair absentmindedly. "You know that rumor that Twinkies have an endless shelf life? Well, it's total bullshit."

"I can't even imagine."

"You do whatever it takes to survive, or you die. So we adapted. Whatever the world threw at us, we found a way to overcome it."

"We?"

Five ignored her question and had a question for her instead. "You got anything stronger?"

Vanya poured down liquor in a glass for Five while Five put your head down and finally placed a pillow so you could get comfortable. He took the glass and drank it. He noticed Vanya's expression causing him to sigh. "You think I'm crazy."

"N-No." Vanya stammered. "It's just... it's a lot to take in."

"Exactly what don't you understand?"

"Why didn't you just time travel back?"

Five scoffed, realizing that scoffing is one of his habits now whenever he gets annoyed or impatient. "Gee, wish I'd thought of that." He said sarcastically. "Time travel is a crapshoot. I went into the ice and never acorn-ed. You think I didn't try everything to get back to my family? To (Y/—" Five stopped himself and took a deep breath.

Vanya sighed. "If you grew old there, you know, in the apocalypse, how come you still look like a kid?"

Five scoffed again, shaking his head. "I told you already. I must have got the equations wrong."

"What about (Y/n)? Were you the one who caused her this? To be stuck in a 15-year-old body like you?"

"I never knew how she got back to her 15-year-old body. Heck, she doesn't even know how she got back to her younger self." Five went to Vanya's kitchen and poured more drinks on his glass.

"Dad always used to say that... time travel could mess up your mind. Well, maybe that's what's happening?"

"This was a mistake. You're too young... too naive to understand." Five placed the glass down and head towards the door to leave.

"No. Five... Five, wait." Vanya pleaded. "I haven't seen you in a long time, and I don't want to lose you again. That's all."

Five looked down, unable to reply back. Vanya looked at the time and crossed her arms. "And you know what, it's getting late, and... I have lessons early, and I need to sleep, and I'm sure you do, too."

Vanya took out a blanket and gave it to Five. "We'll talk in the morning again. Okay? I promise. Night." Vanya walked away and Five stared down at the blanket that Vanya just gave him. "Night."

Vanya closed the door to her room while Five sat down beside you, examining a fake eyeball that he found on the apocalypse. Five saw an address at the back of the fake eyeball and he sighed.

He turned to you and saw you sleeping peacefully. "Wish I could stay longer to see you waking up but I have to go."

He placed down the blanket on you, making sure you won't feel cold. "I'm doing this for you and for our family. I'll save us." Five leaned in but stopped as he thought for a moment. Five sighed and pressed his lips on your forehead before standing up and leaving the apartment quietly.