Promise (Levi x Sick!Reader)

-Flashback-

The monitor buzzed, and she smiled weakly at me.

“Hey, why the long face.” She smiled weakly through the breathing mask. Her eyes were drooping, and my grip on her frail hand tightened. The heart monitor picked up slowly as I met her (E/C) eyed gaze. I smiled gently at her, making the monitor go up ever so slightly.

“Shut up you brat…you need to get better. Plus this hospital smells like shit.” I growled as I looked down at the ground. I felt like hugging her. Kissing her lips, but she was too frail.

“Then leave baka,”

“No.” my serious face soon took place of the gentle one. My face became impassive, and serious as it used to be when I was in the military. “I refuse to leave this shitty place. Besides, it’s my job to watch over you brat.”

“Oh Levi, just calm down. This is only temporary, I promise.” She closed her eyes and leaned her head against the pillow. I stood up gently, releasing her hand. I quickly fluffed the pillow behind her, fixing her hair as well, I kissed her forehead gently. Most of her (H/C) tresses had fallen out. Which still never made me think less of her. I never spoke about it once…but I knew it hurt her.

“Temporary? So soon we will be up and about? Going to Paris? Maybe London. Tokyo?” I gently spoke. Speaking of the dreams we had together always made her feel better. But her conditions had worsened whenever we managed to plan a trip. It was her dream after all.

“Yea, and I still want us to kiss under the Eiffel Tower. Plus I want some tarts.” She licked her lips, which were chapped. She took a deep, labored breath.

“You promise? I mean, I’ll have our stuff packed up to go as soon as you’re ready to leave ok? The house probably looks like a mess…”

“Yes. I promise…” she took a deep breath again. A look of pain overtook her frail features. My eyes widened and I reached for the phone to call the doctor. She waved for me not to. And I placed my hand next to the one that laid next to her. After a moment of silence she spoke.

“Promise another thing…”

“Yes?”

“That you wont give up on me…”

All I could do was pray, that she would last one more day.

-Flashback End-

She was going to last another day. Whether she liked it or not, though we had that conversation months ago. She never got better.

Higher medications. More prescriptions, more money. I was about run dry, and her damn friends didn’t help either.

Whenever I went home, I got pestered. Questioned, they would see my car and suddenly waltz themselves into my damn house. Getting mud and dirt and god knows what else all over the expensive white carpet.

“How’s (Y/N)!?”

“Is she getting better?!”

“What did the doctors say!?”

It was always questions, questions. Now I ran inside as soon as I had the opportunity. I locked the door and prayed they wouldn’t find a way in.

The house (Y/N) had personally destroyed with her hobbies of writing, watching animes, and playing videogames. Every time he cleaned it was always a mess somehow. Even if she had her occasional days where she would pick up everything, it still was messy.

But since she had been put into the hospital, nothing was the same.

No anime’s were on the flat screen.

No music played throughout the house.

No games and manga books were scattered throughout the house.

No burn marks were in the kitchen.

It was…

Empty.

-Flashback-

“Levi!”

“Mhhhmmm?” I opened one eye to look at the (h/c) headed female. She was lying on her side looking at me. The events of the past night flooded my mind. The drinking game. I groaned and closed my eye.

“How drunk was I?”

“Pretty drunk ha-ha.”

She crawled over to where I lied in the king sized bed. Which was too big for my taste. But she insisted. And as usual, she got what she wanted.

“What are you doing, you’re shaking the damn bed.”

I heard a scoff and then pressure on my chest, grunting I opened my eyes to see her looking at my face.

“I wanted a closer view.”

I raised a eyebrow at her comment and sighed.

“whatever…”

-end of flashback-

I simply walked to the bathroom in a sluggish manner. I looked to my right to see the bathroom how I had left it. Clothes neatly folded awaiting for the next shower I took. My razor to shave the stubble I formed when I stayed at the hospital, it was all normal.

Then the phone rang…and rang. But I let it ring. It rang on my insides, honestly I dreaded to see who it was. Till the voice spoke, it only confirmed what I was afraid of.

“Mr. Ackerman, we need you to sign some paperwork from the bank. You are in debt and we need to clear this before more treatments”

That.

Just a few words.

Debt,bank,treatment.

God how I hated how the morons who ran this country acted, how the bills were so expensive…they knew I’d dish out whatever I had. After all, what wouldn’t someone give to see a loved one live. Some I’m sure would give a life for another.  But it’s all about the damn money.

Cursing under my breath, I quickly undressed, folding the clothes neatly on the countertop. The water had begun running just after the call ended, but at least the shower was warm. As the water trickled down my shoulders and back, I washed my hair which had grown out. I hadn’t had the time to cut it myself, let alone maintain the look. It was grimy and greasy.

Filthy…

I continued to wash myself and growl profanities under my breath. But that’s the problem I have, I hold it in. Show no emotion, hide the pain, and hide the weakness. Be strong. That’s all I ever knew. But this world is a cruel place. All I can do is not regret the choice I make.

But, I won’t give up on her. I won’t break that promise.