Chapter Three

"Kiana, are you sure you feel well enough to go to class today? All of your professors are aware of your illness, so you won't get into trouble missing them," Cadence asked as she watched her friend apply lipstick to her lips.

"I feel great," Kiana said checking herself out in the mirror. Today she wore a blue jean mini skirt and a tank top.

"You don't look great, you look a little pale," Cadence pointed out as she stared at her in the mirror.

"I feel great, Cadence. You want to know why I feel great? It's because Jaden is going to spend the next few days with me."

"Is that why you're dressed like that? Are you trying to tempt him or something?" Cadence grabbed her by the shoulders so she could stare into her eyes. "Look at me," she said with a serious expression. "Jaden is a thug! You got no business with a guy like him. That guy is bad news. He has "Nigga For Life" tattooed on the side of his neck, that should tell you he's trouble! I don't know why you're so obsessed with him."

"He's just a little rough around the edges, but he's a sweetheart," Kiana told her and moved away so she could comb her hair.

"Kiana...I know he's your brother best friend and you've known him for a while, but how can you overlook the things he does? They're all bad. He participates in illegal side shows, races cars, he participates in illegal boxing tournaments, and I heard he held a gun to this guy's face when he caught him trying to steal his car. He's dangerous!"

"He isn't to me. He's a sweetheart and yeah he's a bad boy, but you know I kind of like it. Besides, he was defending his property when he pulled that gun out."

"What is he doing with a gun in the first place? And, he could have just called the cops like normal people do..."

"He's not a wimp," Kiana said.

Cadence through her hands in the air. There was no getting through to Kiana.

Someone knocked on the door.

Kiana grinned at Cadence and ran to open it.

Jaden stood there towering over her in the hallway. He wore jeans and a black graphic t-shirt that did nothing to hide his muscular arms and chests. His dark eyes roamed up and down Kiana's body. She waited for that heart stopping smile of his to show he was impressed, instead he frowned.

"What the hell are you wearing?"

Kiana looked down at her clothes. "What's wrong with them?"

"You never wear those type of clothes."

"I'm trying something different."

"Why?"

"Don't you like girls dressed like this?"

Jaden looked at her in surprise and took a step back. "I don't like YOU dressed like that. Wait...did...you do this to..." he sighed and rubbed his hand over his face. "Kiana, please change into your normal clothes before I have to kill a nigga for staring at you."

He closed the door for her to make sure she did.

Cadence snickered when Kiana stomped to her closet. "What is his problem?!"

"You are apparently," Cadence said as she watched Kiana change out of her clothes. She threw on her skinny jeans and a white smock top and sandals.

Cadence grinned. "Can I have my mini skirt back now?"

Kiana gave it to her. "I don't know why it's okay for you to wear it, but not me."

"Jaden doesn't like me in that way," Cadence said.