Reflections || Prolouge

1976

Prince

My only shelter was the stand of some rusting phone booth. Rain drummed right outside, just beyond the barrier. Andre would've taken me home if his own car hadn't broken down recently. Needless to say, I was just stuck here right now.

The dark payphone near me still locked in place for anyone who wanted to call, but both of these denim pockets were empty. Even my own mother couldn't care less. Anyone else would've sent me home by now, or at least maybe some good people.

I gasped when someone knocked on the glass out of nowhere. I had already cornered myself to sleep under my coat, but the noise threw me off. When I stood to see who noticed this situation, it was almost like I just forgot how to breathe.

We'd never met before, but she was probably the most beautiful girl I'd ever seen. Even as she covered with an umbrella, my eyes watched her enter the phone booth, joining me. At that moment, I was unworthy. At least it felt that way.

"Hi," she smiled, squeezing herself in here without closing too much space between us both. I was too busy staring like some awestruck kid as she lifted her coat hoodie for a moment. I also noticed that raindrops trickled down part of her Afro. Part of this cream turtleneck sweater peeked from the zipper of her coat, too.

"Hi," it wasn't long before my teeth chattered from the cold again. I didn't know if she walked around here too and noticed what went on with me. Maybe something else happened altogether. Either way, someone cared. I even wondered if she was one of the good people who I just thought about. Time could be able to tell me.

"Are you lost, too?" I glanced around our small space. Raindrops continued pelting down on the roof of this phone booth stand. The girl shook her head for a moment and gestured outside, pointing her thumb a few blocks down. I listened intently.

"No. I'm parked nearby. Need a ride home?" She questioned me while giving me another pretty smile. As lightning struck outside this phone booth, the darkness of her brown complexion glowed. Even her teeth were brighter than sunlight, as if the view could bring world peace. I could only imagine why this angel helped me out.

Back then, I was no one.

"Yes, please." I cleared my throat, knowing that if we hadn't shared this conversation, I'd probably shiver underneath my coat to sleep. Once the lightning calmed down for once, I opened the door and we both braved rain, racing through puddles to reach her car. At least someone around me had wheels these days.

"Sorry if my ride's not fancy. This car was a hand-me-down from my father." This girl shivered between her words, but we both entered the car anyway. I took the backseat, just in case she was unsure about young men sitting with her up front.

"Thanks for this. My friend's own car broke down and it's in the shop, so he can't pick me up yet." I said, watching as she adjusted before driving us away. On the other hand, this stranger turned around to face me as we reached this stoplight.

"No problem. Could you please give directions? I don't want to miss a curfew if your folks get mad." There was an accent in her voice, but I couldn't place the locations yet. To my musical ear, there was a mix of Southern charm and something else.

"Sure." I grinned, even though she could barely view my presence from the rearview mirror. The rain continued pelting right down, but she carefully moved to bring me home. Windshield wipers brought on their usual rhythm of to and fro.

By the time we pulled up to Andre's place, that rain finally let up. Even the house lights were thankfully still on. I could actually hear myself think again. Silence fell between us as the stranger cut off her engine and turned to welcome me home.

"There it is. Stay safe." She said. I nodded once more, not sure how else to react. She was still one of the prettiest girls I'd ever seen, but there was no other choice but for me to keep distance. We just met and she could've also had someone.

"Thank you so much." I opened the door and scooted myself out, gently closing the back door soon after. She nodded to accept my thanks, but watched me from the car as I headed into the house. Of course, I would've done the exact same thing.

As my body finally drifted to sleep, my thoughts soon realized one crucial fact:

I didn't even learn her name.