10

Shocked by the explosion, McGee pulled himself up and ran to the car. Gibbs simply could not be dead. He had known him for so long. Everything in the car was burnt. There was no way to recognize anything. Was his boss even still in the car when it exploded? McGee got his hopes up, but where else would Gibbs be? 

The car was lying on its roof, and you couldn't easily get yourself out of it. But what if someone pulled Jethro out of the car? Tim just did not know what to think. He was neither sad nor hopeful. He just didn't feel anything. He reached for his phone matte and dialed Ducky's number.

2 H LATER

Sloane awoke in the darkness. At first she did not know where she was, but then it came back to her mind. She felt Gibbs' gaze on her. 

"You're awake." 

"Sorry I fell asleep, but since I got here I haven't been able to sleep a wink due to stress." 

Jethro looked at her with pity. 

"You have nothing to apologize for. I let you out of my sight and didn't take care of you. I will never make that mistake again." 

Jack was warmed to the meaning of these words, even though she could take care of herself, it felt good to know that she had someone by her side.

-

The charred car was just being taken to a place where it could be examined. Ellie and Torres had also arrived in the meantime and Bishop seemed very sad. Gibbs' death affected everyone, but Ellie showed it openly. 

Her eyes were red and her cheeks wet with tears. Torres had an arm around her to comfort her. McGee was devastated. Sloane was gone and Gibbs was dead. What did that have to do with anything? Was Gibbs' death a tragic accident or did these tire marks here mean that someone had forced him off the road? 

McGee called Ellie and Nick in. If Gibbs had indeed been forced off the road, where was the Nadere car. It had to be on a surveillance camera somewhere. The car could not be too small to push Gibbs' car off the road. It probably got scratched too. 

"Ellie, Nick, check if you can find a medium to large, not too flashy, tattered car on any surveillance video. It probably has scratches on the right side. I will stay with the forensics team until we find out if Gibbs really was in that car." Bishop and Torres nodded and headed for their car.As they walked, his hand brushed against hers the whole time. 

-

The steel door squeaked softly. Gibbs and Sloane were startled. Two masked men entered the room and grabbed the two prisoners roughly. They pushed them in front of him. Jack looked startled at Jethro. They would now torture him. That much was clear. She just could not watch how pain would be inflicted on him.