𝑰 𝑮𝑶𝑻 𝑻𝑯𝑬 𝑴𝑼𝑺𝑰𝑪

Start from the beginning

"Please tell me you were talking to the boys and not yourself." Flynn begged with a weirded out side glance.

She really wished she could find a proton pack.

Her fingers ran over the grooves that only grew since she had learned how to pick them up. They fit perfectly into them and even had a little wiggle room as Alex's fingers had definitely been larger than her own. The drum stick had seen more damage than its seen good, partially because she has a habit of playing as hard as she could to spite her grandparents. The stool covering was ripped to shreds and was more yellow than it was the black vinyl that once covered it. She thought it made it look unique and well loved, others didn't think so. She had dragged the drum set and stool back to the attic a total of seven times. Her grandparents convinced her father several times to put it on the curb, but she refused to let it go. It was a piece of Alex and an instrument that she adored.

Darlene took a deep breath before allowing the wooden stick to smash down onto the snare while her foot petaled the kick drum. The familiar tune of her favorite song slowly came to life with every flick of her wrist. Her eyes closed as she allowed her body to sway along to the overwhelming drumming. A smile began to tug and stretch on her lips as she licked over them, sweat beading on her hairline. She could practically hear what she knew now was Reggie's deep bass chords to her right and grinned wildly as she could see Luke to her left similar to how it was at the rally. Her fingers twitching and tightening on the drum sticks as the cymbal was dull when she heard it. Her brows furrowed and opened her eyes to meet with the bright ones her mom once carried.

Darlene's eyes slammed shut once more as her heart pounded in her chest at the accidental scare. She could feel the sheepish smile on his lips as she slowly opened them again and saw Alex standing in front of his old drum set. She carefully sat her sticks down and stood up from the stool. She hopped down from the small platform it was on and stood beside him.

"You all need some kind of bell to warn me when you're around." She said, firmly.

Alex rubbed the back of his neck, "Sorry, I always forget how jumpy you are."

"I'm not jumpy!"

Her uncle snorted and adjusted his snapback, pulling it snugly against the top of his head. Her offended expression faded as she knew she really was jumpy and it was just because she had the tendency to be anxious. Her fingers laced together as she nodded her head towards the trap door and he smiled in response. They walked silently down the ladder after Alex gestured for her to go first and dusted off her hands. Alex followed suit and they managed to slip into her room, his eyes automatically glancing around in awe.