viii. Starlight

I gripped the note like a lifeline as I carefully tiptoed my way downstairs that night. The last thing I would need is to wake my father up, who believed plenty of sleep was included in my health plan of relaxing.

I had changed into some jeans, a warm hoodie, and my hiking boots as quietly as possible, the air in the cabin colder than it had been when I went to bed. I shivered as I walked to the back porch, wincing as the old door creaked loudly when I pulled it open. I waited a moment to see if Dad had waken up, but he didn't come out of his room. I sighed in relief before stepping out onto the back porch, closing the door quietly behind me.

I shivered more as I looked around the dark yard for Louis, walking down the steps and onto the grassy yard before I saw him.

He was holding several blankets in one arm and two pillows under the other, a beanie on his head and several layers of jackets on to keep him warm along with his dark wash jeans and sneakers. I smiled before walking over to him, my arms wrapped tightly around me.

"Hey there." Louis smiled when he saw me, his smile shrinking a little when he saw me shivering. "Cold?"

"Y-yeah. It wasn't this cold when I was in town with my dad." I said, Louis only handing me the two pillows before taking one of the blankets he carried and draping it over my shoulders, my tiny hands clutching the edges tightly while trying to keep hold of the pillows in my arms. Louis laughed before taking the pillows from me and placing them back under his arms.

"Better?"

"Yeah. Thanks, Louis."

"No problem. Are you ready for your grand adventure of epic proportions?" Louis smirked before chuckling. "Well, it's not really an amazing adventure, but I thought it would be nice."

"What are we doing?" I asked him, looking at the pillows and blanket he carried.

"We, my magical Mira, are going stargazing." Louis informed me, placing the pillows under the arm he held the blanket with and slinging his other over my shoulders as he led me into the forest. I blushed as I tilted my head down to hide the smile that couldn't seem to vanish from my lips as we walked.

Louis led me to a clearing in the forest not far from the creek he had shown me a few days ago. It was a little grassy knoll with no trees around it on a high up hill, Louis wrapping his arm tighter around me as I peered over the ledge and saw the ground maybe twenty feet below the edge of the earth's drop. I almost wondered if he didn't want to have to create another cloud in case I fell off again.

Louis' arm released me so he could spread the other blanket he carried out on the grass, smoothing out any bumps or tossing any pebbles that could bother us to the side. He placed the two pillows down near the top of the quilt, sitting down on top of it before holding his hand out to me.

I took it as I sat down next to him, but Louis leaned back until his head was on top of the pillow, arms folded on his stomach as his sparkling eyes looked up at the stars above us. I followed his lead, removing the blanket from my shoulders before I laid down next to him. Louis helped me as I adjusted the blanket so it lay over the both of us, encasing me in warmth as I looked up at the glowing stars.

They really were dazzling, and it was amazing how clear the night sky was tonight. There was nothing to obstruct our view of the heavens, and my breath was taken away as I found myself captivated by the shimmering diamonds resting in the midnight sky.

"Do you know any of the constellations?" Louis whispered next to me, like he was afraid that if he spoke too loudly he would ruin the magical moment.

"I know the names, but I never remember what they look like." I admitted in a quiet voice, my eyes breaking their focus on the stars to stare at Louis. His eyes never left the starry sky, some of its light shining in his irises. I felt a gentle touch on my left wrist as his right hand raised it from the blankets and pointed it up to the sky, my fingers becoming lost in his larger ones.