Chapter 1 - The Beginning

Chapter 1
Hallie (pov)
'No, it can't be'
In the distance, I could hear the sound of a guitar ringing and a male's voice. My heart thumped rapidly like a drum. I never thought I would see him again. Memories flood back into my mind and tears came to my eyes. I could feel the prickling sensation and I had remembered too much to just carry on with what I was doing. I will never forget that day.

(Flashback)

Arrows of light shone down on Barnet High. There was a gentle breeze making the trees sway slightly to the side cooling the students down. Inside the corridors were anything but calm, they were bustling. Everyone was in a jovial mood and chatter filled the air. Students were scattered all over the corridors and classrooms. Ryan couldn't help but feel like it was the perfect time to confess.

Ryan (pov)

I had finally built enough courage to go confess to my crush. I glanced over to see her standing by her locker talking to her best friend Rylie. The sun shimmered on her long glossy brown hair and I was overcome with the desire to run my hands through it. It wasn't just her looks, every time I talked to her I found myself leaving grinning like a dumbo and giddy on happiness. She was popular but not the snobbish kind instead she was the person everyone loved because she was so kind and friendly. Ok, this was it I was finally going to confess. I took a deep breath and wove my way through the teeming corridor of students. I finally reached after what seemed like an age of walking. I can do this I told myself. 'Hi Hallie', why was I so awkward just saying that I hope she doesn't think I'm weird. 'Ummmmmm it's nice weather today isn't it?' Goddammit, what am I saying can't I be cool and say Hey Hallie I thought you were cute, can I have your number or some cringy pick-up line where I say I'm not a photographer but I can picture us together. No, I was just going to confess plain and simple. As I debated in my head she had just answered my question and I had no idea what she said. 'Yes', I replied. She burst out laughing. I loved hearing her laugh but what was so funny. 'I just said the weather was okay today and you just said yes' she said. 'Well doyouwanttogooutwithme?' I gasped. It was out there. I could feel her staring at me. Redness crept up my face. I twiddled my hands anxiously waiting for her to reply. BANG! Screams filled the air and echoed in the corridor. People frantically ran in all directions bewildering me with what had happened and caused this panic. That was until I saw the blood and Kiran slumped against a locker with crimson slime oozing out of him.

Hallie (pov)

BANG! I spun around instantly just to see a mass of students in all directions. There was a splatter of red across the lockers. A pair of familiar eyes stared at me...not blinking...not moving...haunting me...scaring me. I gasped in horror as I recognised the bloodshot eyes staring back at me. 'No!', I shouted he can't be dead. Despair overcame me and all I could think was my brother is gone. He was standing a couple of meters away yet I couldn't do anything. I felt a pair of strong arms wrap around me and lift me up. I was carried away from the scene away from my brother who was breathing his last breaths.

That was the day my brother died. The day my crush confessed to me except he was no longer a crush he was a memory from the day Kiran died. The most painful memory of all.

(A couple of days later)

I still couldn't get over it. My lifetime partner was no longer for a lifetime. The one person I knew I could trust with my whole life. He was the person I had the closest connection to.