battle for possession

Start from the beginning

"Can you do me a favour?" she asked, briefly turning her head to face her brother.

"Sure, anything," Luther said with a small smile.

"I'm guessing Five stayed behind with the old man?" she asked, getting a nod in return. She hummed. "Then can you let him know I'm taking Klaus back for tonight? I'll bring us both to Elliott's in the morning, but for now I think he needs to rest somewhere he's familiar with," she explained, nodding her head towards Klaus.

"I can do that," Luther said with a nod and a small smile. Thea noticed it was more strained than usual and her lips curled into a sympathetic smile of her own.

"You know, whatever he said after I'd left, I wouldn't take it to heart." 

At Luther's surprised look, she carried on. "He might have raised us, but you don't owe him anything, Luth. He did a shitty job at something he was very unqualified for. Don't let him speak about something he's clueless on – namely us, alright?"

After her words, Thea felt a large hand almost enclose the entirety of her head in a soft pat. Luther briefly patted a few times, letting the warmth of his hand linger before moving it away.

"I always knew you were first for a reason, Thea," he said with a fond smile. "More mature than the rest of us put together."

Thea realised that the look on her brother's face really did do him justice; it softened his usually constipated expression and brought out his handsome features. She smiled, lips curling into a teasing smile.

"No, I was first for the simple matter that I'm better than you all," she joked.

Luther gave a surprised laugh and shook his head. 

"Whatever you say, sis," he said before wandering away, heading in the direction Allison left, exiting the building.

Thea followed suit and sighed in relief at the cool, crisp air outside. The sky was almost black and it was only the lampposts that gave the area any light at all; strips of gold that illuminated the street.

Vanya had already disappeared to god-knows-where, but Thea did notice Diego stood off to the side, looking out into the street with a blank expression. 

Worried about his earlier spat with their father, Thea slowly walked over, trying hard not to jostle Klaus too much and wake him from his drunken stupor. Thea wouldn't be surprised if her twin had mastered the ability to sleepwalk even whilst blacked-out

The fact that his bloody legs are moving even as I drag him around is creepy yet impressive.

"Penny for your thoughts?" she asked once she finally reached Diegos still form.

Her brother scoffed but when he turned her way, Thea was glad to see his eyes clear and without any malice. "That all they're worth?"

Thea pursed her lips, debating on how to go about approaching this conversation. Her brother was a tricky person to deal with when emotions were part of the equation – sometimes he'd push everyone away, while other times it was clear he desperately wanted somebody to reach out.

If I pride myself on one thing, it's knowing my own family. Reach out to him, show him nothing has changed.

"Fine," she said in a mock-drone, acting like an aristocrat bidding on fine jewels. "I'll give you a dollar per thought, no more. Take it or leave it."

Diego chuckled at her pompous expression and the way she'd played up the bit even further and the girl grinned, happy at making the correct decision.

They were silent for a moment before Diego swallowed, glancing at her from the corner of his eye. "You know...thanks. For what you did in there."