ch. 1

"Guess what day it is today?!" Kageyama's mom asked with a bright smile. "Uh I don't know. What is it?" Kageyama looked away from his computer screen to look at his mom.

"It's Mother and Son day!" She smiles at him. "Oh, right." He stretches then gets up from his desk. "So what are we doing today?" "We're going to watch a movie while we have face masks!" "Again? You know I hate face masks!" He crosses his arms. "Oh c'mon! It'll be fun!" She walked to the living room while Kageyama followed her from behind. His phone soon vibrated which startled him. He had gotten a text from his friend saying "Stay safe! Survive!"

He was confused so he decided not to answer it now. He sat on the couch and leaned his head back. "Hey Mom?" "Yes?" "...Do you think Dad will come back this month like he promised?" She stopped what she was doing. It remained silent for a few seconds before she cleared her throat. "I don't know honey. If he doesn't then that's too bad. He was hardly ever here anyway." She said as she got the face masks. "Sorry for bringing it up." "Don't be sorry, you were just curious." His phone then vibrated again to see a text from his Dad. "Huh, dad texted." "What'd he say?! Is he coming back early this month?!" Kageyama shrugged then opened the message.

"Check the news ASAP. I love you both so much."

"What's going on? My friend sent me a message saying to stay safe and to survive.." "Let me check."

His mom turned on the TV and went to the news channel. As she was scrolling through the channels, screams were heard from outside the window. Not screams of little kids having fun, but terrified screams as if someone had died. He got up from the couch to see what was going on but because the sun was setting, he couldn't see much.

"Oh my goodness.." He turned his head to look at his mom who was staring at the TV in fear. He quickly sat back down to watch the news. His face became pale after hearing about the zombies. He looked over to his mom who had tears in her eyes. He hugged her tightly while she started crying.

"Is this how we're going to die?" He asked himself. He comforted his mom who was already a crying mess. "This is the end for us..." "What? No it's not! All we have to do is survive. We have enough food and water here so we'll be fine!" I looked at my phone and decided to text back my friend, "stay safe out there."

He switched for his dads contact chose to take a video to send to him. "Hey Dad. We saw the news...um, mom isn't handling it very well. Just wanted to send this video to you, hopefully you're able to see it. We love and miss you, Dad. We hope you're okay. Stay safe." He ended the video and sent it to his dad. "Let's just go to sleep mom." "W-What if those zombies break in?!" "They won't Mom. We'll just block the door with heavy stuff." I got up from the couch and started to move the fridge towards the door. "We'll be okay, I promise." I smiled at her.

If only that promise lasted longer