Chapter 3

"Get Up!" I hear a voice shout near my ear. I groan and turn on my side. Trying to swat away whatever it is, my hand contacts something hard. Like a book. Or a brick. I quickly sit up, regretting it the moment my head hits something hard. Definitely metal. I groan and rub my head slowly opening my eyes. It takes a moment to adjust to the dimness. But when my eyes finally adjust everything is confusingly clear.  As though everything has its own light. Or my eyes do. Slowly I turn my head to take in my surroundings.  I'm in a room. Almost like a hospital ward. But instead of white, everything is black. The walls seem to made from mud or soul. Yep. That horrible sulphur odour can only mean one thing: I'm underground. The room  has a dressing table next to the bed I'm in. And sitting on the dressing table is Jess. Jace's Sister.  I scream and hide under the covers. She laughs and tugs the blanket away.

"Hi. So I see your still the same little coward I left behind?" She laughs tickling me.

" You're..You're alive?" I stutter unsure. My voice sounds hoarse.  I cough twice to clear the lump in my throat.

"Very observant aren't you?" She laughs flicking her curls back.

"But how?"

"Same way you are I guess..." She gets up and goes to a cabinet near the bed and looks through it.

" I wasn't in a car accident"  I must be dreaming or going crazy. This can't be happening.

"No. I guess you weren't . But then again neither was I. But my parents had to tell you something believable didn't they? They couldn't tell you their only daughter had to go into hiding because she was dangerous now could they?" She  comes over to the bed with a first aid kit and unravels the bandage that's around my ankle and cleans the blood away.

"So they lied to us?" I say shocked.

"Not technically. No.  More like twisted the truth" She nods. The anticipant she dabs on my ankle stings making me flinch.

"But...But...What about us? What about Gerard?"  I glare at her. He took her death hardly. And hasn't dated anyone since. He just loved her too much. Something in her eye's tells me she's hurt as well.

" I...I...I was afraid he'd get hurt. Or that I might be the one to hurt him" She says avoiding my eyes.

The same words Jace said to me.

I shake my head in disbelief and fall back in the bed.

"Where am I any way?" I ask confused.

" My room. We were going to put you in the infirmary but then  your wound isn't that bad"  She takes the first aid kit back to the cabinet and walks to a wardrobe in the far corner.

" Some of my clouths might be a bit big on you...but it's only temporary. Jace  will take you home soon anyway" She throughs clothes behind her and the fall in a heap on the floor next to the others before it.

"You're really clean aren't you?" I say sarcastically. She laughs and pulls out a top and examines it for a while then throughs it on the fall. I sit up and try standing up. Pain rushes up  my leg making me wince, but I press on  and walk to where she's standing.

"What's wrong with my clothes?"  I say staring at the mess inside her wardrobe.

She holds up a pink tee shirt against me and then shakes her head.

"Well if you like blood all over you...?" She finally takes out a grey t-shirt that looks about my size.

"What Blood? Where?" I stare down at my top. I gap at my blood splattered top.

"When Jace picked you up he forgot he was covered in blood" She says handing me a  pair of jeans.

"You mean his blood?" I slap my hand to my mouth so that I don't vomit.