He never said it to anyone. Maybe that's why he rarely took Vrushali or his kids out for these occasions, where he knew they would be exposed to the condescension that was reserved for him. He was glad that Vrishali never requested him otherwise. His wife had always been content in the presence of their loved ones and was too real for the superficial and dubious interactions that were the characteristic of such gatherings. And his kids were more than happy to stay behind, unless of course they could fool around with the Kaurava children and the kids of the courtiers who were more accommodating of him.

And so he silently took on those unsaid words while his friends laughed merrily and pushed them away so that he could see them later at night. And though he was used to it, after all, he had years of practice, it still hurt to know how much everyone hated him.

Perhaps if he had been a bit more pliant or a bit more tolerant, things would have been different. But his pride would not accommodate these outlandish societal expectations. Young and temperamental, he had responded to his opposition with a false air of indifference, making it plainly discernible that he would not be so easily unsettled. Even if that was not the case.

"I was a fool to let it all get to me Aswathamma. What does it matter what they say? It does not affect me anymore." He continued noticing Ashwathama frowning at him, " Now that I know the truth, it's like a veil has been lifted."

He wondered how those who had derided him today would react if they knew who he really was. No, he was not Adhiratha's son, as Sudakshina had rightfully pointed out to the gathering. He was the son of the Sun God who had made them all kneel before him for the iniquitous insult that had been thrown his way. It was surreal, he hadn't even realised what was happening when the kings and princes fell down to the ground in pain, cursing openly, and it was only when Ashwathama cried out did he request his father to spare them from his vehemence lest the ignorant rulers perish from the heat.

Was he supposed to be delighted in a perverse fashion for his father's unexpected interference? Was he supposed to be grateful?

Karna shook his head as anger took over him. It had taken his father this long to realise he had a son? This wasn't even that bad, Sudakshina may have been downright fiendish but Karna had seen much worse in his life. That too at a young age when he had been so impressionable and those words had.........had.........killed some part of him. He had been a child, for heaven's sake. And yet his father hadn't shown up back then!! Nobody had known.....except him nor had he shared those cruel words with anyone. But they were there with him, engraved inside his mind and they would never leave him alone.

Then why had his father chosen to act now? When he was an adult, his ears already corroded with the world's hostility and derision, and his mind, too frail to care about anything anymore.

Was it because now that the truth was known to him, his father could no longer seek refuge in Karna's ignorance. That his simple defense of destiny molding their present and future, in line with the Almighty's grand plan had been punctured by Karna's actions in the battlefield. What rebuttal could now be used by the Sun God, he who had been a silent witness to every high and every low of Karna's life and yet had chosen to never come to his aid before.

All except that one time. A derisive smile carved itself on Karna's face. It had required Karna to make a suicidal decision for both his parents to show up. And even then it wasn't just concern for him that had made Kunti, turn to him for assistance. Perhaps, he should go easy on the Sun God. At Least his father's intentions had been pure.

A Different PathOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara