005 | take me back to the night we met

THEY HEARD A KNOCK ON THE LID OF the suitcase and Betty and Newt looked at each other

THEY HEARD A KNOCK ON THE LID OF the suitcase and Betty and Newt looked at each other. Newt started to climb up, then Jacob and Betty was last.

As soon as Newt opened the lid they heard the almost tense silence and Betty regretted opening the lid as she heard gasps.

She mentally cursed herself as she stepped out, seeing that they were in the middle of a council meeting at MACUSA.

She had been to one when they had to shut down a puffskein breeder. "Scamander, Prewett?" Asked the minister

"Hello, Minister." Betty and Newt said awkwardly and at the same time.

"You mean Theseus Scamander? The war hero?" One of the random delegates said and the minister shook his head.

''No, this is his little brother." He said to the man before turning back to look at Betty and Newt.

"And what are you doing in New York?" He asked and Newt looked at him causally.

"I came to buy an Appaloosa Puffskein, sir." He explained and the Minister nodded his head suspiciously.

"Right. What are you really doing here?" He asked and Madam Piquery - The minister of America - interrupted to talk to Tina.

"Goldstein, Prewett, who is this?" She asked, obviously referring to Jacob.

"This is Jacob Kowalski, Madam President, hes a No-Maj who has been bitten by one of Mr. Scamanders creatures." Tina explained and the room was filled with gasps and furious faces from the other ministry workers.

Betty also had an angry expression on her face, shocked as to why Tina would betray them like that. Newt and Betty were entranced by the image of Senator Shaws dead body floating around the room.

"Merlins beard." He said to himself, his voice only loud enough for Betty to hear.

"You know which of your creatures was responsible, Mr. Scamander?" Madam Piquery asked and Newt looked almost offended that someone thought it was one of his relatively harmless creatures that had done this.

"No creature did this." Newt said and Betty approached the image of Senator Shaws face.

"You must know what that was, look at the marks," Betty said, remembering what Newt had been telling her about earlier. She looked at him for reassurance that she was thinking of the correct creature and Newt nodded his head.

He took in a deep breath as he looked from Betty to Madam Piquery, "That was an Obscurus." He stated and everyone started to murmur to their friends about it.

Madam Piquery scoffed at the idea and turned to look at Newt who was standing with Betty next to the image of Senator Shaw.

"You go too far, Mr. Scamander. There is no Obscurial in America." She exclaimed, almost trying to convince herself of it as well as everyone else in the room.