Chapter 15- Voicemail

A/N: This will be the only chapter that's >1000 words I just don't feel like dragging the story on (If I include the next chapter it will be too long) What Nico reveals is canon. It's in the series Love Live! School Idol Diary

I enjoyed that week by myself. I really needed that alone time to think.

I brought out my phone and turned the ringer back on after arriving at home. I had turned it off the whole week in case Nico had texted or called me. Not like I'd assumed she'd do something childish and spam me, just in case.

Then again, there were forty-seven missed calls from Nico.

I didn't really want to listen to all of them, so I opened the forty-sixth call.

"Y/N? Are you really not going to answer me...?

...

If all you wanted was my secret, then I'll tell you if you accept this call! So please... just answer me. I'm sorry."

That was short. We don't really sit close to each other during class, so I guess the phone was the only way she could contact me before I left the school. What secret is she talking about?

I opened call forty-seven. Her voice was quiet.

"If this is really all you wanted to hear, then you better call me back after this...

...

Am I annoying to you? Is that why you're ignoring me? Does "Nico Nico Nii" really bother you that much? It never really bothered me. It comforted me.

It was my dad's way of comforting me before he died. He was never on business trips you asked where he was, he's never been anywhere before you arrived. That's why I always favor going to your house. So I don't have to be reminded of him whenever you ask.

Y/N, I thought you saved me. Nobody was there for me after my dad died. But you came out of the blue. All I was doing was handed out flyers in the rain, how did that catch your attention?

The only reason I wanted to be an idol was so that I can spread happiness like my dad did. But you showed me that there is more to happiness than having a cringy catchphrase. You showed me what it's like to have an amazing friend.

That's why I suddenly felt the urge to have a friend group. So I could spread happiness among them like you did to me. But that friend group ignored me. All Muse did was ignore my suggestions and laugh it off. And you were laughing with them. That reminded me of how lonely I was.

I thought you wouldn't want to be friends with me if you knew I didn't have a father. But you're a great friend, you wouldn't mind. I'm sorry for being a bad friend. Sorry for being so infested in idols that I neglected spending special time with you. Like going on a date or something. 

Now, I feel like we'll never be the same. I'm sorry for wasting your senior year."

Her voice sounded like she was about to have a breakdown in the last sentence. I feel like a total sack of crap right now. Why did she never tell me? How has she been holding that in for so long? I guess it makes sense that she was mad when I suggested we do something other than research idols. That was one of the only things that kept her sane...

That probably also explains why she cares so much about being a school idol and having a big ego. She just wants someone to praise her like her dad did before he died. I felt my stomach twist. 

I rushed over to the school to see if Nico was still there.

 I entered the clubroom without knocking. The place was a mess. Papers everywhere, drinks that were probably left for days in the sunlight, and bags of chips spilled.

I thought she would be fine without me. She said that she would be fine without me. Now I'm probably the worst person in the whole world for ignoring her. Does she even want me anymore? I feel like it'll be awkward to return to her at this point... after ignoring her for a whole week...

I logged into Nico's computer and looked at the photos. Just us two. Happy. Why can't we be happy anymore? Why do we have to grow up and graduate? For some reason, I don't want to leave this all-girls school...

There were also pictures of us and Muse. Muse led us to many places, and honestly, I don't think I could have grown closer to Nico or realized that I liked her without them. Too bad we're going to separate in less than half a year.

Then Nico's dream will be over. She won't be able to be a school idol anymore when we graduate. 'm selfish. We can save love for after school. I just need to help Nico reach her dreams until graduation. That's not far away. She sees me as a good friend, even though this incident very much proved that I'm not.

I'll be the great friend that she describes me as and I'll help her win the Love Live.

The next day, I was lounging around when I got a text from a random number. 

Hey Y/N, it's me Sara

hi, howd you get my number?

i just asked Honoka. although i have a question

yeah?

Do we do anything other than this idol crap?

i mean, that's kind of what they're together for

Yeah, but i only joined because i wanted friends. 

well then, you should leave. they do hang out occasionally, but mainly just practice

they're telling me to stay though

probably cause they don't have time to train another member..

what should i do?

I'll get an old member back

you promise?

yeah :)

thank you!

My goal was already to get Nico back into Muse. I can help Sara at the same time. This will all work out...

At least I hope it will.