Chapter 1

*11 Years Ago*

"Noooo" I scream as Kol chases me down the hall. I giggle my voice echoing through the castle floors and I feel Kol catching up to me. I forcibly trip sprawling onto the stone floor. Kol races to my side at breakneck speed.

"Are you alright Jose?" His voice full of concern.

I whimper and he bends down to inspect me closer. I suddenly reach up and slap his wrist.
"Tag your it!" I shoot off before he can realize what I did. My tiny heels slap against the floor and my dress flows out from behind me. I can't stop giggling. I run right into Mag's back who is frozen in place.

I look up and see the looming figure of my father, King Drex. His crown is beaming in the light, his rigid stance formidable and commanding. He has a sneer painted on his face, his eyes brimming with hatred.

"Josephine how many times have I warned you not to hang out with this filth!" He roars his voice like a strike of thundering booming against the walls.

Mags cowers back but he snatches her hand noticing my bracelet laced around her wrist that I gifted to her as a friendship present. His molten brown eyes go livid.

"Father they are my friends. We are just playing," I say feebly. Kol is behind my back now staring at his sister alarmed.

"It seems a lesson is order," Drex announces his voice ice. Before I can blink he whips out his dagger and rips it across her neck. She chokes gasping, her neck splattering with blood. Her once bright forest green eyes droop and she drops to the floor in seconds.

"Mags" Kol cries and I push him back not wanting him any closer to my father. I watch the blood pooling around her wool dress soaking it red. Kol tries shoving against my arm crying but I am surprising stronger than him in that moment, my grip steel clenching down on his arm holding him in place. King Drex wipes his dagger on Mag's dress and sheaths it into his scabbard. He does not even glance in either of their directions.

"You will understand from now on Josephine the causes of your action." He swivels in the opposite direction striding away not a speck of guilt he just murdered a nine-year old girl. He wouldn't call her a girl however, he considers her just a Fae, a piece of filth as he words it. Kol drops to the floor next to Mags and is sobbing uncontrollably. I feel empty. I look at my best friend now dead because my father killed her. I swiftly leave the scene, leaving Kol behind too ashamed at what I caused. My two best-friends, twins, I just tore apart, because I could not see a difference between human or Fae.

I realized then that no matter what I did some people will never listen, too firm in their own belief to care. The only way to get to someone to finally hear what you were trying to say was by taking action. Like how my father finally got to me by slitting her throat.