part 7: the best match

"Olympia!" Otis called as he entered the break room.

"Otis, there you are! I've been looking for you all day, where were you?" Olympia asked, walking up to him, almost ready to hug him since she basically hadn't seen him all day.

"Oh, I was just…. taking care of some things…." Otis stated, not wanting to explain the whole story "Anyway, I just wanted to let you know that I'd love it if you'd let me take you to the dance." he said, smiling a bit and definitely blushing.

Olympia smiled widely in response. "Really?" she asked.

"Really, really." Otis replied.

Olympia was relieved as ever. "Awesome! For a second I thought you were gonna say no, I thought you were avoiding me." she admitted.

"I just needed a second to sort things out." Otis explained vaguely.

Olympia, being Olympia, kept on prying though.

"What happened?" she asked curiously.

"Some other people asked me, and I had to let them down easy." Otis clarified.

Olympia shrugged "Ok. Y-you didn't break anyone's heart did you?" she inquired, not wanting to see any of her friends/coworkers hurt.

Otis shook his head "No, I don't think so. I think it all worked out actually." he reassured her.

Later that night.

Olympia and Otis arrived to the Odd Squad dance at the same time. Olympia was wearing a red knee length dress and some black two inch heels. her hair was out of her usual ponytail and just slightly curled.

Otis was basically wearing his same Odd squad suit with a new tie, and he settled on dress shoes instead of his usual converse.

"You look amazing, Olympia!" Otis told his partner as they walked out of the tube lobby.

"Thanks. You look great too." Olympia said, blushing and smiling.

Just then, Owen and Oksana walked over to them, holding hands.

"Hey, Owen. Hi, Oksana." Olympia greeted cheerfully.

"You guys are here together?" she questioned, glancing at their joined hands.

"Yup!" Owen replied. Then he winked at Otis.

"We're here as friends though. Nothing weird." Oksana added.

"Mmhhmmm sure." Owen commented sarcastically under his breath.

"Are you disagreeing with me?" Oksana asked, while glaring at Owen.

"N-no! Of course not." Owen reacted, shaking his head rapidly. Then he and Oksana strolled away.

Olympia looked over at Otis as a slow song started to play.

"May I have this dance?" Otis asked, holding out his hand to her as they both blushed fiercely.

"Of course!" Olympia replied, smiling widely and taking his hand as they walked to the middle of the floor.

Olympia placed her hands on Otis shoulders as he held onto her waist and they slow danced together.

"So, who else asked you to the dance?" Olympia inquired curiously.

"Uh Oksana, Orchid and I thought Oona did, but that turned out to be a mix up." Otis explained awkwardly "It was kind of a mess." he added, recalling all the stress he experienced.

"How'd you fix it?" Olympia asked.

Otis shrugged "I just set them up with other dates. And I'm lucky that even worked out and they weren't mad at me." he said.

"Wait, so you set Owen up with Oksana?" Olympia questioned in disbelief.

Otis nodded "Yup."

"And Orchid and Ori?" Olympia asked, noticing Orchid slow dancing with Ori.

"And Oona and Ocean." Otis added, glancing over at Oona who was happily dancing with Ocean.

Olympia smiled "Look at you, playing matchmaker!" she said.

Otis chuckled slightly "I guess that is what I was doing. Although, in the moment, it was more of an ingenious plan that my entire reputation depended on…." he stated, nodding at the last part.

Olympia laughed.

Otis sighed in relief. His plan worked. No one was mad at him, and he was at the dance with Olympia. Now he could celebrate. And perfect timing too, because an upbeat song instantly began playing and he and Olympia freestyle danced happily to it.

Maybe Otis was sort of a good matchmaker. Either way, in his mind, the best match he made that day was him and Olympia.