A Most Shocking Development

Dinner was much like the earlier meal with Sir Henry isolated and uncommunicative requiring Lady MacGuffin to engage Holmes and I. Fortunately, my colleague was in his most disarming manner and regaled in telling summarizes of some of our cases including the Red Headed League, the Priory School, and several cases that he has never allowed to be published. All the while Sir Henry sat quietly and partook little of the conversation and even less of the food. Several times, Lady MacGuffin gingerly encouraged him to take some sustenance, to which he responded by taking a few small bites followed by halfhearted participation in the talk of the moment then quickly falling silent. Finally, as a dessert was offered, he took some bites of the cake without encouragement then announced that he was not feeling well and begged our forgiveness for retiring.

His valet was called with his rolling chair and he was taken to his room.

Lady MacGuffin was asking Holmes about whether he had any deductions to the whereabout of the design plans when shouts from upstairs were heard. The valet was calling down for me, saying Sir Henry had taken ill and needed assistance immediately. I ran immediately to Sir Henry's bed chambers and discovered him on the floor gasping for breath. Swelling in his face and neck were evident. Holmes and Lady MacGuffin had followed me and with my colleague's assistance succeeded in getting Sir Henry in a sitting position with his back against the bedframe. While I unfastened his necktie and collar, I asked Holmes to remove his shoes.

"Sir Henry, have you had any reactions to foods you have eaten in the past?" I asked. He responded between gasps, "Yes... cannot.. eat.. nuts..... very bad."

"Do you have medicine here for such attacks?" I asked. Sir Henry, unable to speak, shook his head.

"Holmes, the medical bag!" That was all I needed to say as Sherlock Holmes immediately knew the black medical bag I always carry as a doctor, even a retired one, was desperately needed. Sir Henry struggling to breathe had begun to panic making his breathing more labored. Holmes returned with my bag as Sir Henry was starting to lose consciousness and Lady MacGuffin began to tearfully plead, "Oh Doctor, please help him!" I found the small vile and prepared a hypodermic needle as quickly as my aged hands would allow me. Sir Henry was unconscious, and his heartbeat was beginning to falter as I pulled up his shirt and injected him with a dose of adrenaline. His breathing was extremely shallow and his heartbeat was very low for some minutes and I feared I had not been in time. Awaiting some sign of improvement, we transferred the man from the floor to his bed and notified his doctor. It was my first use of the telephone and I found it most unnerving knowing I was talking with someone who was physically miles away.

Within the hour the crisis appeared to pass as Sir Henry's breathing became less labored and his heartbeat became stronger. Still, Sir Henry remained in a deep unconsciousness. Dr Edmond Dotair soon arrived and as I transferred my patient to him he and I both agreed Sir Henry's rest should not disturbed.

The good doctor held vigil throughout the night with no change observed from the patient. In the morning, we reviewed Sir Henry's condition. Dotair, who studied under Joseph Lister in Glasgow, was progressive in his medical training and well read on the latest research covering hypersensitivity and allergic reactions. We agreed, though the crisis had passed, it's effects may be long lasting, possibly permanent. The time MacGuffin's airway was restricted could have led to a stroke and possibly some brain atrophy. We both agreed Sir Henry should be brought to the Royal Infirmary in Glasgow for further observation and convalescence. The doctor reported this to Lady MacGuffin and with her approval arrangements were made for Sir Henry's transfer.

During my work with Dotair on Sir Henry's behalf, Holmes was making inquiries with the cooking staff regarding the preparation of last night's meal. The entire staff was distraught at Sir Henry's affliction and the cook was positively inconsolable thinking she might have had a hand in harming the master of the house. Holmes' investigation concluded that the cooking staff was aware of Sir Henry's hypersensitivity and was careful not to have any items that would disturb him on the premises. A quick inspection of the cupboard and cooking instruments confirmed this. When Holmes inspected the remains of the dessert, he found the source of MacGuffin's attack. Ground almonds were present in the icing. The cook was both shocked and relieved at hearing this. She had not prepared the cake, it was bought from a pastry shop in Glasgow that Lady MacGuffin favored.

As Sir Henry was being loaded into the ambulance for transport to the Royal Infirmary, Lady MacGuffin requested the doctor accompany her husband. She had also immediately dispatched the footman to collect her children with plans for them to meet her at the Infirmary later in the day. As the ambulance left, another motor car came speeding up the drive. Out stepped the large frame of Mycroft Holmes, whose immediate concern was written on his face.