Chapter 9: Supermarket

Ok, 77 times 9...

"Charlotte!" I'd hear my mom call.

"Yes, mom?"

"I'm too tired to go to the supermarket today. Is it ok if you go today?"

"Oh, sure," I'd say, cleaning up my work space.

"The list is on the coffee table," she'd tell me.

I'd nod and get the house keys, my phone, mom's wallet and of course, the list, containing the items I'd need to get.

Cake mix (any flavor)

Eggs

Milk

Plain yogurt

Quinoa

Lettuce

Graham Crackers

As I make my way to the supermarket, I'd see a tall man, dressed in black.

Kind of like a spy, huh? The figure...looks familiar

"Time to follow him," I'd whisper to myself.

He'd go into the same supermarket that I'm going to.

Ugh, ok, back to your main task here, Charlotte. Focus!

As I'd grab a shopping cart and walk inside, there was an aisle full of different types of cake mix, as well as cookies.

Cake mix...Ahh, there are so many choices!

Hmm...chocolate? Nah, too plain.

Ooh, red velvet? Perfect!

I'd take a box and put it in my shopping cart, and since the graham crackers would already be there, I'd take it as well.

Then, there would be that same figure again...

Anyways, umm eggs

Eggs, where are you?

The figure would be picking up the eggs as well.

Let's take a closer look at this guy...Oh my gosh...no

After rubbing my eyes, I'd look again

No, how?! How in the world is this even possible? Dad?

"Time to go confront him," I'd say to myself, pushing my shopping cart to the side of the aisle.

"No one touch it!"

After attempting to make it to him, he'd see me

Oh gosh. Not. Good.

Ok, maybe this is my attempt to talk to him...

Wait! Shouldn't he be in jail?

I'd calmly walk up to him because of my curiosity; on the inside, I'd be as hot as a flame. I'd be full of nervousness but of rage and hatred.

"Dad?"

He'd jump a little, but would reply with "Oh, hi Charlotte! Listen, I know I've escaped prison, but I needed a way to tell you the truth."

Oh my gosh...this is it! I can finally know everything!

"W-w-when I-I was little, my p-parents t-" he'd begin.

Then, there would be two police officers grabbing him and putting handcuffs on him.

He'd just sigh. The weird thing would be that he didn't try to break free!

That's strange...why is he so calm? Maybe I should help him? ... Nah, he had taken my childhood away from me, so I don't see a reason to anyway.

While I'd be deep into my thoughts, I'd look back up, but only saw a police officer standing in front of me.

"Oh, you're finally coming back to your senses," he'd say with a straight face.

"Um...what was that all about?" was all I could get out. I would be too confused to say anything else.

"Your father is a criminal; stay away from him at all costs. We plan to ask him various questions on live TV at some point."

Yesss! I'll tell mom about this! We can watch it together!

"Oh, ok."

What else was I supposed to say anyway?

I'd pretend nothing ever happened and get the eggs and other food items on the list.

And...lettuce. Okie, last one!

After I'd put everything on the checkout counter, the lady there would say, "Anything else?"

"No."

Every time she'd swipe the card under some machine, I'd hear a beep.

Then. I'd swipe the credit card; she'd give me the items.

"Would you like a bag?"

"Oh, yes please," I'd say, remembering how I can't physically carry all of these items with my needle width arms.

I'd get the bag and put everything in it.

"Have a good day!" I'd say.

"You too!"

I'd return the shopping cart, take the bag, and head home.

What a strange day...

As soon as I'd see my house, mom would be there waiting for me.

"Charlotte! I have some fantastic news!"

Note: There's a two week time jump from the last chapter to this chapter (that's why in the beginning, it mentioned multiplication when the last chapter was about addition)

- We're getting so close to figuring out what Steve's reason for treating his former wife and daughter that way is!

- What do you guys think the fantastic news that Charlotte's mom has?

- I hope you guys liked this chapter! Comment and vote if you did!