| 11

"BELLA, ARE YOU OKAY?" I ask her once again as I leave Paul's warmth to look over Bella who had tears running down her face. She nodded her head slowly, and I raised my eyebrow as I watched her glance at Paul with nervous eyes.

The angry guy shoved past us, causing me to grow angry as I followed after him.

"What is your problem!?" I screamed, regretting it instantly as my throat burns from coughing up all the saltwater. Paul stops and clenches his fists like he's trying to fight turning around to check on me, before growling angrily and turning to face me with raging gold eyes that should have scared me had I not been so furious with him.

Sam, Jacob and Bella watched the two of us with wide eyes.

The two wolves were shocked that I was not backing down, while Bella worried that Paul was going to hurt me. Neither of us knowing that the beast inside him would never allow that to happen.

"My problem?" Paul scowled as he stalked closer to me, his full height towering a full head above me, but I still didn't back down as I raised my hand and slapped him hard across the face.

Paul froze in place as he watched me glaring at him.

He looked pissed, like he was ready to kill me, but instead he scoffed and gestured towards Bella. "Why don't you ask the one who nearly killed you."

I furrowed my brows in confusion, looking away from him and to Bella who put her head down in shame. I opened my mouth to say something as I turned my head back towards Paul, but he had already turned his back on me and was walking away.

I felt all the warmth in my body leave along with him, before Jacob came and wrapped an arm around both mine and Bella's shoulders to keep us warm.

Sam glances at me silently, nodding at Jacob and telling him to take us home before running off after Paul.

The ride home was quiet, as I sat between Jacob and Bella as they blast the heat to try and get my body temperature back to normal before I got home.

We pulled up to Bella's driveway and Jacob shuts off her truck before sighing and looking down at the both of us. "Are you okay?"

Bella nods her head, before they both look at me. I stare down at my pale hands, trying to figure out why I felt like my heart was breaking before clearing my throat and mustering up a smile as I nodded at them. "Yeah, I'm fine."

We exit the car together, but I don't say another word to them as I make my way next door and into the house.

Lizzie and Josie sat on the couch with popcorn, watching me with raised eyebrows as I stand by the door with tears in my eyes and a heaviness in my heart that I just didn't understand.

"Elle, what's wrong?" Lizzie is the first to speak as they rush to my side. I open my mouth to say something, anything, but can't find the words and just begin sobbing.

I don't understand what is happening to me, or why I felt so cold all of a sudden.

Lizzie looks over at Josie before pulling me into a tight hug as I break down in her arms. Josie joins the hug, as they both rock me back and forth while I cried for reasons I didn't even understand yet.

 Josie joins the hug, as they both rock me back and forth while I cried for reasons I didn't even understand yet