Chapter One

"Halyn!" My head snapped to the kitchen as my name was called. "Foods up. You okay, girl?" The Chef raised his eyebrow at me, looking at me like I was about to have a mental breakdown.

"Fine, sorry. One of those days." I smiled at him picking up the plate of food and made my way back into the dining room. I've been working at this pub for a couple months now, ever since I've moved into the city.

"You've been having those a lot lately." He shrugged turning back to work. This place is very different from my hometown upstate. Everyone is rushing around, not caring about anyone else, just thinking of themselves, and their next paycheck. I miss home sometimes. I gave the table their food, put on my best smile, than took my break. I sat in one of the booths with some fries and my cell phone. I dialed the number and listened to the ringing that followed.

"Hey, Honey-Bee. How's the big city treating you?" The deep voice on the other end of the laughed making me smile. I missed him.

"It's good. I'm just tired. Home sick. How's London?" My brother, Mace, has been in England for a couple weeks now on Embassy Duty with the Marines.

"God, it's so boring. You know the cops don't even carry guns here. In what world is that a good idea?" He grunted making me laugh.

"Not everything can be exciting like Baghdad, Dumbass." I ran a hand through my hair.

"Yeah, yeah. How's my favorite niece?"

"Your only niece is good. She's growing in her first teeth, almost walking too. She's really growing up." Sigh. Talking about it is worse than watching it.

"Yeah, I know the feeling. I got to get going, give her a kiss for me." I heard talking in the background.

"Will do, stay safe." I heard him laugh.

"What's going to happen? The cops going to shoot me?" He broke out into laugher.

"Well, someone better." I rolled my eyes. "Love you, buttface."

"Love you too, Jerk." I hung up the phone and put it on the table. I was always closest with Mace rather than my other brothers even though we are almost the farthest apart. He was always there for me. No matter how old I was. Now he's across the world. I covered my face sighing. Life. The manager walked past me tapping the table.

"Back to work, Halyn." He said moving on to clean a table. I shoved my phone into my apron and went back to work. I was wiping down some of the tables before closing when the front door opened.

"Are you guys still open?" A voice called when were I was behind the bar. I sat up about to answer when the words stopped in my throat. The man in front of me didn't look like any other man I've ever seen. He oozed authority, his blue eyes stared into mine, making my stomach quiver. I bit my lip and blinking away the stunned look on my face.

"Yeah, yeah, come in." I put the rag back into the bucket and wiped my hand on my pants.

"I could do with a stiff drink." I couldn't help but smile. I feel the same way.

"What can I get for you?" He sat in front of me and loosened his tie.

"Scotch, please." I gave him the glass, poured him the liquor and put it away. I leaned against the back and watched him drown the glass.

"That bad?" He looked up confused. "That bad of a day." He tapped the glass wanting another. I poured the drink and put the bottle on the counter this time. He nodded, running his hand through his hair, tugging at the ends in anxiety.

"Just stressed over a project." He looked over to me. "I just need a break." I smiled at him, pouring myself a glass of water.

"Cheers to that." I taking a sip. The man stared at me, rubbing his finger over the rim of the glass.