One Step Forward, Two Steps Back

Chapter 8 "One Step Forward, Two Steps Back"

Natasha and Clint

Harry's healing was going slow with good days and bad days. Harry loved being with his daddy but there were some mornings the boy woke up in a cold sweat. His dreams often turned into nightmares with him being ripped from his new family and Thorwn back in to the hands of Doctor List.

Shadow would instantly jump on the bed and curling onto the boy's lap and purring in comfort. Sometimes his father would also wake if his magic spiked in his anxiety. Harry would curl into his dad until he fell asleep again. Other times he would wander their floor trying to shake the memories from his head. There was no getting rid of the years of torment and pain. He tried to hide it to make it seem like he was getting better faster so his Daddy would be happy but it always came back to him the moment he closed his eyes.

Over the weeks since he woke up he had been busy getting to know his new home and Family. He had lessons with all who lived in the tower on various subjects ranging from Asgard history to Engineering. Harry was doing well so far even if he got a little lost with Uncle Tony's lessons. He liked his lessons with Uncle Clint the best because he got to take these lessons with his father a they both learning how to use Sign Language.

Tonight found the boy in the training room, it was past midnight and his Father and Uncle had to go to Asgard after putting him to bed that night. They promised to be back in the morning if not, then afternoon at the latest. With his father gone his sleep was even more restless and the nightmares were never ending. After the third nightmare he gave up on sleeping and began to wander. Shadow loyally followed at his heels until they found themselves in the training rooms. It was dark and a bit scary but then he remembered Tony ordered Jarvis to turn on the lights for Harry if he clapped twice.

"Clap, Clap."

"Good Evening Master Harry is everything alright?"

"I'm ok, I just can't sleep." Harry tapped out on his voice disc.

"Would you like me to wake Master Tony?"

"No. I'm fine." He didn't want to wake his uncle Tony. He over heard Aunt Pepper telling Uncle Bruce that Uncle Tony rarely slept lately and was often working in the workshop nonstop. He didn't want to disturb his uncle when he is finally getting a good night's sleep. "Can I use this room?"

"Of course Master Harry what would you like to use?"

"Targets please." Harry took off his glasses not wanting to risk breaking them. Then he let his magic fill the space coating over the targets. Shadow sat at the starting point of the obstacle course the Jarvis adjusted to his smaller size. When Harry was ready Shadow let out at Meow that sounded like a mini roar. With Eyes glowing bright green Harry took off like a shot. Running fast he summoned ice daggers and threw them hitting every target. He knew that they were not all a bull's eye, okay none of them were a bull's eye but at least he hit the targets. Jarvis recorded every move the boy made as he went Through the course.

"Again." Harry signed as was panting but he wasn't tired enough to fall into a dreamless sleep.

"When you're ready, Master Harry." Harry once again took off running Through the course shooting Ice daggers as he went along. Every time Harry went Through the course his time was getting faster instead of slower. He became immersed into the training that it became like tunnel vision. That was how Clint and Natasha found him starting another round of the obstacle course.

"Harry?" Clint called out only to have to dodge an ice dagger flying his way. Harry continued to jump and run the course.

"Jarvis how long has Harry been down here?" Natasha asked watching the boy finish the course, only to start it again.