2. Barracuda

"YOU, I THINK YOU GOT THE BLUESTOO"-Barracuda, Heart

TOO"
-Barracuda, Heart

A BOOM OF GREEN FLAMES SUDDENLY ERUPTING from the fireplace startled a half-awake Adore into dropping her slice of toast back onto the plate, her widened eyes lifting from that morning's newspaper to stare at her newly arrived housemate. The ginger held back a chuckle at the state of her roommate and closest friend, who looked like she had been standing directly in front of a dragon's open mouth. Allison's face and neck were coated in the remnants of black smoke, the edges of her hair were singed and her clothes were torn in several places. Given it had been the first she was home in over twenty-four hours, her appearance suggested that had been for a reason.

"Don't bloody ask," were her first words as she padded out of the fireplace and made her way towards the breakfast bar Adore was seated at, carrying with her the smell of smoke and burnt hair. With a slight hiss as she sat down, Allison grappled for one of her friend's slices of toast and hungrily began to munch it down.

"I wasn't going to," Adore snickered into her cup of tea, holding her free hand up in defence. Allison had been coming back to their shared apartment in similarly and equally as bad of states lately. The blonde had been reaching the culmination of her training as an auror, and it was only getting increasingly difficult.

"Seven in the bloody morning and I'm only arriving home now," Allison ranted while she chewed, glancing over at the newspaper Adore had closed and left on the tabletop, she began to read aloud the headline. "'Oliver Wood, Puddlemere's Newest Keeper', you didn't mention that you lot had replaced the keeper?"

"Yeah well Quidditch season starts next month, we kind of needed one or else you know, people can just throw the quaffle through the hoops and win the game?" The beater sarcastically responded with a shrug and a smile as she carried her dishes into the kitchen for cleaning up.

"Oliver Wood," the auror-in-training reiterated with a pensive look upon her face, "why does that name sound so familiar?"

"Um," Adore hummed while drying her freshly cleaned plate, darting her gaze away from Allison's pointed stare. "He went to Hogwarts too, I guess you probably heard of him then."

"Huh," she replied shortly, trying her hardest to recognise why that name in particular rang such a bell. But the effort of thinking was too much for her exhausted body as she eventually gave up after a minute or two in favour of seeking out a well-needed shower. "I'm going to shower, I've got blood, sweat and probably numerous other fluids on me."

"I don't think you realise how wrong that sounds."

☽ ☾

The usual ache in her bicep began as she batted yet another oncoming bludger away from Wendy's direction. Lennox, Puddlemere's long-term manager and coach, occasionally liked to switch up the training by jinxing the bludgers to ramp up their already incessant chasing of players to the point it was near impossible to complete the training day without getting hit. While the chasers, seeker and keeper never typically had much cause to worry with players like Padraig and Adore on the team, it was the one day their abilities were tested beyond compare. The red-headed woman knew she would be trailing back to her apartment that night with limbs too sore to even lay in her bed.