12.

Shivaay reached home and made a beeline towards his room, the doctor's words still playing in his head. Anika was rearranging clothes in her wardrobe when she sees Shivaay walk in.

Anika: Shivaay, aap itni jaldi aa gaye? Mujhe laga aap office chale gaye.

Shivaay glanced at Anika then firmly closed the door of their room. Anika kept rest of the clothes aside as Shivaay walked up to her. His face looked pale with worry. This worried Anika well.

Anika: Shivaay? Shivaay, kya hua? Aap kahaan gaye they? Aur aapke chaihre pe 12 kyoon baje hue hain?

Shivaay pulls Anika towards the bed and sits down, making her sit beside him. He takes her hand in his. Anika felt anxiety rise inside of her but she maintained her composure.

Shivaay: Anika, mujhe tumse kuch kehna hain.

Anika: *soft tone* Kahiye. Kya hua?

Shivaay: Subah, main... Dr Agarwal se milne gaya tha. Unhe kuch discuss karna tha.

Anika: Kya kaha doctor ne?

Shivaay squeezed Anika's hand a little harder. Anika looked on, heartbeat fastening.

Shivaay: Doctor ne kaha ki tum... tum dobara maa nahi ban sakti Anika.

Anika's hand slipped out from Shivaay's. Her racing felt like it had stopped. The world blurred away from her eyes. All she could focus on was the words that left Shivaay.

Anika: *stutters* Main...main maa...maa nahi ban sakti...

Shivaay: Anika, tum bilkul chinta mat karo. We'll get through this Anika. Sab theek ho jaayega.

Shivaay tried to console (and himself) but his words were falling on deaf ears. Suddenly, Anika shot up and her breathing quickened.

Anika: *repeatedly* Main maa nahi ban sakti...nahi ban sakti... main nahi...

Shivaay: *holds her shoulders* Anika, meri baat sono...

Anika: *screams* NAHI!

Anika harshly removed Shivaay's arm from her shoulder and ran out of the room. Shivaay ran after her. She went into the hall, ranting "aisa naho ho sakta" over and over. Shivaay caught up with her and pulled her towards himself from her wrist.

Shivaay: Anika, stop. Meri baat suno.

Anika: *shoves him away* Door hatiye. Paas mat aayiye mere!

Rest of the family came out hearing the couple scream.

Shivaay: Anika, main samaj sakta tumpar kya beet...

Anika: *yells* Kuch nahi samaj sakte aap, kuch bhi nahi. Aapko kuch nahi pata.

Shivaay: Anika, please. I know...

Anika: Aap kuch nahi jaante. Jabse aap meri zindagi mein aaye hain tabse main ek ke baad ek apna sab kuch khoti jaa rahi hoon. Jab tak aap nahi they, tab tak sab theek tha likin ab sab bigad chuka hain. Meri duniya ujad gayi aur main kuch nahi kar paayi. Aap humesha kehte rehte hain "main sab theek kar doonga" likin aap kuch theek nahi kar paaye, kuch bhi nahi!

That struck Shivaay's heart like a hot knife. Tears pricked his eyes.

Shivaay: *tries to go closer* A...Anika...

Anika: *steps back* Paas mat aayiye, door jaayiye mujhse, mere paas kabhi mat aayiyega!

Anika runs away from him and up a flight of stairs, Saumya chases after her. All eyes were on the stairs, from where the two women disappeared. But one pair of eyes travelled to Shivaay and saw him stumbling backwards till his back hit a pillar.

Prinku: Bhaiya!

Prinku, along with Rudra, ran to Shivaay held him before he collapsed.

Prinku: Bhaiya, please sambhaaliye apne aap ko.

Shivaay: *whispers* Maine Anika ki zindagi barbaad kardi...

Rudra: Bhaiya, kuch nahi bigda hain. Aap baatiye toh kya hua?

Prinku: *rubs his back* Haan bhaiya, bataaiye hume. Hum... zaroorat padi toh hum Bhabhi se baat kar lenge, hum samjhayenge unhe. Aap bataaiye, kya hua?

Shivaay takes a few deep breaths. Om fetches a glass of water for him and makes him have a bit. Shivaay looks towards his siblings, who were patiently and silently waiting for their eldest brother to speak.

Shivaay: Subah, mujhe Dr Agarwal, Anika ki doctor ne hospital bulaya tha, kuch reports discuss karne ke liye. Anika ki tabyat theek nahi thi toh main akele chala gaya. Dr Agarwal ne kaha ki, accident ki wajah se Anika...

Saumya: *shouts* BADE BHAIYA!

Shivaay stopped in the middle when he heard Saumya scream for him. He went towards just as Saumya came running down the stairs.

Samuya: *panicking* Bade bhaiya, jaldi chaliye. Upar chaliye please. Bhabhi, Anika Bhabhi...

Shivaay: Anika! Kya hua Anika ko?

Saumya: Bhabhi ne apne aap ko terrace pe band kar liya hain. Door doosri taraf se locked hain aur Bhabhi jawaab bhi nahi de rahi.

Shivaay went pale. He dashed up the flight of stairs, all the way till the terrace.

Shivaay: Anika! Open the door! Darwaaza kholo Anika!

He banged on the door and twisted the doorknob but to no avail. Finally, he rammed his shoulder into the door and kicked it several times, trying to break it open.

¡Trigger Warning!

On the other side, Anika looked down from the edge of the terrace wall. 4 floors. It was not that high but was still high enough, maybe even fatal. Without a word, without any expression, Anika climbed up the wall and stood on the edge. Air was blowing through her hair but she couldn't care less. She took a few more steps till her feet were half-hanging off the edge. She closed her eyes and let herself fall forward.

"ANIKA!"