6.0: Welcome home & Team bonding

Start from the beginning

Crystal: I found a ride

Mom: Oh good! Coworker?

Crystal: My boss

They sat there in silence for awhile, it was a nice comfortable silence. "How did you come to work today? Do you need a ride tomorrow as well?" Crystal shook her head, "My mother has taken my car keys out of protest, she really doesn't want me back into the field. One of my older brothers sent me today, but I'm guessing they forgot."

Hotch nodded, "She's just worrying for you." 

"I know, but I won't back down. I want this job and I can't let it go, not for a second time."

"I'm sure you'll get through to them." They stayed in silence after that, they were approaching her apartment soon.

"Agent Hotchner?"

"Yes?"

"I'm going to assume from the way the team has been acting that you aren't the type to smile on the job."

Hotch stayed silent for awhile, when he pulled up to a red light he finally answered. "I keep a professional appearance and attitude when I am on a case."

Crystal nodded in understanding, "I can understand that, but sometimes it helps to remember that just a small gesture like a smile can help someone who is struggling to keep it together and be "professional" Agent Hotchner. Not a fake smile since that's lying to yourself and the receiver of the smile, but a genuine one helps the person see that things are okay. Smiling helps remind us that there are better things in life out of this ugly, cruel world."

"Your philosophical side is showing professor." Crystal smiled at this, but didn't comment on him trying to change the subject.

"It could help someone learn how to smile again."

Hotch side glanced at Crystal who was looking out the window, "You shouldn't frown so much Agent Hotchner, you never know who's falling in love with your smile."

Crystal turned towards and flashed him a smile, he didn't say anything and she didn't comment anymore. They sat in a comfortable silence, they finally arrived at her apartment building. 

"Thank you for the ride Agent Hotchner, sorry for having you go out of your way."

"It's not a problem Agent, I live 15 minutes back that way so it's fine. You have a good night, good luck with your family. See you tomorrow morning at 8:00 AM sharp."

She waved to him as he drove off, she headed into the building.

Here goes nothing

She was nervous, but she knew she could convince her mom and dad. When she reached her door she unlocked it, pushed the door open, and was greeted by her family sitting in her living room.

"Were you all waiting up?" Crystal asked as she put her bag on the couch, she went to gave her dad a kiss on the cheek and her mom a hug.

"Well Nick and Tyler were going to go get you, but you texted you had a ride. We decided to wait up to make sure you got home okay, and to see that you actually would eat."

Crystal shot her mom a skeptical look, "So you weren't staying up to talk to me about me working in the field again?"

Jason tried not to laugh, Nick coughed, and Tyler just shrugged at her question. Her dad came up to her to ruffle her hair, "That was her original plan, but I told her to wait until after you get a goodnight's sleep. You had a case, you're tired, and she forgot to make sure you had a ride home. Your car keys are on your dresser, we can have a talk in the morning."