Chapter Four | Mistake

Start from the beginning

This document hereby serves as the official betrothal contract between Lady Selina, daughter of The Earl of Westmoreland and Marquess Harrington, James Fulton, son of The Duke of Lennox. The dowry provided to the Marquess Harrington upon marriage is Denbury Manor and a sum of 50,000 pounds. The manor will remain in Lady Selina's control but bear the Marquess Harrington's name. If the betrothal contract is broken by Marquess Harrington, Lady Selina will receive Chalcott Manor as a payment—with the stipulation that she may not sell it. If Lady Selina request the betrothal contract be terminated, she will be required to give up Denbury Manor. The terms of the betrothal contract may not be altered at any point. Should both Lady Selina and Lord Harrington consent to not marry, each group shall retain their respective assets.

At the bottom were signatures by both the Duke of Lennox and Earl of Westmoreland stating they had signed the papers at Chalcott Manor, on the eve of Thursday May 14, 1802.

James glanced up at Baldwin in disbelief. "This must be fabricated, correct?"

That was the only explanation besides the Earl and Duke being deep into their cups and writing a betrothal contract for the sake of laughter.

Baldwin shook his head, "No, it is legally binding. You might have it abolished by the House of the Lords if provided sufficient enough evidence of Lady Selina's death."

James' eyebrows rose, "There isn't enough evidence in regard to Lady Selina's death?"

"No, Your Grace. After the death of the Earl, my father went to Denbury Manor, but Lady Selina had vanished. A couple of her trunks had been ransacked but there was no evidence of force entry. It is believed that she ran away."

James frowned, how was it possible for a child to run away herself. Someone must have assisted her. "Did an investigation not take place?"

"It did, but after a few years there was nothing that changed so the new Earl withdrew his funding."

That was an interesting tidbit. It appeared as though he had some questions to ask the new Earl.

"I must speak with Lord Westmorland."

Baldwin winced, "I believed you might say that. He is currently in the country with his family."

James understood the meaning clearly. He couldn't arrive at the Earl's manor uninvited. Duke or not, it was possible that he would be turned away at the gates. His mind began turning the cogs in his brain. Firstly, he needed to hire a Bow Street Runner. He wasn't sure that the previous man hired were competent enough. As soon as he received proof that Lady Selina was dead—he would be free to do as he pleased. Bloody hell, he still didn't know what his father had been thinking, signing off on an agreement like this. It wasn't as though he could ask him anyways.

Shaking from his thoughts, James stood up and extended his hand. "I would say it has been a pleasure but that would be false, so I'll thank you for the information you have provided."

Baldwin grasped his hand, "I do apologize for delivering such dire news, but it was best to speak with you, lest the information got released to the papers somehow."

James winced; he could imagine the gossip columns eagerness to publish a story like his. It was best to keep this a secret as he investigated the matter further. Retrieving a pouch filled with coins, he placed it on Baldwin's desk. "Use it to purchase a better office, no aristocrat in their right minds will hire you in this upheaval place."

Baldwin's eyes shone with gratitude, causing an uncomfortable feeling to envelope James. Before the solicitor could say anything else, James briskly left the room. He had many tasks to accomplish before he could return to the country.