The × First × Phase

Start from the beginning

"The Numere Wetlands, also known as Swindlers Swamp. We must cross these wetlands to reach Phase Two of the exam. This place is home to many bizarre animals, many of them being cunning, insatiable creatures who deceive humans and prey upon them. Be very careful. If you let them fool you..." the examiner started.

Wow, that was a long explanation. Now, I'll let him continue, I don't think he's done yet.

"...You're dead." Satotz-san continued.

Well, I don't plan on getting caught anytime soon.

I heard a squeak and looked at its direction. The door was about to close and an applicant was making a run for it. Sucks to be him, he didn't make it in time.

Satotz continued his speech, not caring about what just happened at all.

"These wetland creatures will use every trick in their book to fool their prey."

The people took off their eyes from the door to look at him with surprise.

"An ecosystem in which creatures obtain food through deceit... Hence the name Swindlers Swamp." He turned around. "Stay very close to me so you won't be deceived."

Mmh. Maybe some action will finally happen? I've been itching to fight.

"Don't let them fool you!"

Huh? What the heck was that. I mean, why would an applicant say that? Unless it was... One of the creatures that are trying to fool us?

Everyone was looking at the man who said that, and so did I. He had short brown hair, a big nose, and I couldn't see the eyes very well because of the fog.

"D-don't fall for it... He's lying to you!" He said, pointing at Satotz-San.

Hold on. Satotz was trying to trick us all this time? No way. But this makes no sense. He was with us since the exam started, and if the creatures weren't weak they wouldn't use their brains to eat people, but their strength. However, he made the 100km without breaking a sweat. You know what?! I'll just let the others handle it, it's too much for my brain.

Three cards were sent flying at me. Holy shit. I barely dodged it, and it left a scar on my left cheek. I looked behind me to see if Satotz-San was ok. I was probably not the target of the person that attacked me. I was glad to see he caught it.

Now, for the culprit. I'm not letting him/her/they go that easily, of course, I'll get my revenge.

"I see, I see~ That settles it... You're the real one!"

About revenge...Forget it. I don't wanna die yet.

"Examiners are Hunters selected by the committee to perform this duty without pay."

He continued what he was saying, but I zoned out. Did I just really think about trying to attack Hisoka?! Am I good? I don't stand a single chance against him. Ok, the next stage of Phase One has started, I need to concentrate, forget all these thoughts, and just be happy you're here now and not in a grave.

The floor was soaking wet and it was harder to run, but at least I wasn't behind everyone. I was situated more in the middle, with #48, #369, #403, and #404.

"Leorio! Kurapika!" I heard a boy scream in my direction.

It was the spiky-haired boy who defended the snowball. Who is he talking to though? Oh, wait. The old man and the blonde guy. Makes sense since they arrived together. God, I'm dumb.

"Killua says that we should move up!" he continued.

Well, I guess Killua is the snowball. I don't think I'll have to remember their names though, I doubt I'll befriend them.