PROLOGUE

⭒December 1971 ⭒

Sirius was coming home. His first term at Hogwarts was over and he would be home for the winter holidays. Solstice could not wait. She was so excited to see her brother, but was anxious that things would be different. Her and Regulus weren't babies, they knew it was a big deal when they got wind that Sirius was sorted into Gryffindor. Things were always tense in their home, but the weeks after hearing of Sirius' betrayl back in September had been bone chilling. The last time the ten year old girl had expressed that she missed Sirius had been Halloween. He made the Holiday much more enjoyable. Solstice received a slap on the cheek for speaking fondly of a blood traitor.

When Sirius appeared in the foyer of Grimmauld place after apparating alongside their father, Regulus and Solstice were already sitting on the bottom on the stairs together waiting for them. Regulus held her hand to stop her from pouncing forward to hug her brother. Solstice suspected it was to restrain himself as well. Unfortunately, Walburga was waiting in the doorway to the kitchen.

"Go upstairs." She said dryly to the twins before immediately fixing her gaze back on the eldest Black child.

Regulus stirred first. He tugged on his sisters hand to get her to come with him, but she didn't budge.

"Sol, come on." Her twin whispered as he stood up all the way. Solstice still had her eyes focused on Sirius. He looked different. His black curls were more grown out. There was more confidence in his face. His grey eyes were fixed on their mother. The two were in an intense staring match. Solstice was positive that if looks could kill that the pair would both be unconscious in a crimson puddle on the floor.

"Solstice, so help me Merlin, get up those stairs and go to your room. Right. Now." It was Orion who spoke this time. Solstice hoped Sirius would look at her to give her some sort of sign that it would be okay, but his eyes remained forward. She conceded and made her way up the staircase with Regulus.

What ensued terrified Solstice. Her and Regulus sat in his bedroom huddled together. They were not ignorant to what was going on downstairs, however this was an elevated version of the typical maltreatment. When it was over, Walburga called them to come down for supper. Like nothing happened.

The real trouble took place the next day. Solstice went to Sirius' room to get to really talk with him for the first time since he left for Hogwarts. She walked in and her eyes were immediate drawn to the scarlet Gryffindor banner hanging on his wall.

"Sirius! You'll get in so much trouble!" She whisper yelled as she walked further into his room. Her brother shrugged and smiled weakly at her.

"You don't need to worry about it. How have you and Reg been here alone with the-."

"What's this!" Solstice spun around and saw their mother standing in the doorway, her eyes traveling between the sibling and the banner. "Being a traitor and shame to our family is bad enough, but to show pride in your disgrace?!" Walburga yelled as she stepped forward and grabbed hold of Sirius by his jacket collar.

Wanting to prevent Sirius from getting in even more trouble, Solstice spoke up.

"I- I did it." She said meekly, her voice trembling. Her older brothers eyes widened as he looked at her like she had lost her mind.

"No you didn't. Get out, Solstice." Her mother snapped.

"Yes I did!" She replied a little louder than before. "I saw it in his trunk and thought it would be funny. I hung it up." By this point Walburga had turned around and was staring at her daughter. Her lips were pursed tightly and her eyes looked like they were sizing the young girl up.

"This is your last chance Solstice Walburga. Tell the truth." Her mothers voice was quiet but fierce. Sirius was telling her to stop it, to stop lying and go away.

"I'm not lying. I did it." She insisted.

At this point Sirius was begging her to stop talking and for his Mother to look at him. Walburga dropped her grip on Sirius and calmly replied,

"The only thing worse than a blood traitor is someone lying to protect one," and she seized Solstice by one of her pigtail braids and dragged her out of the room. She saw Regulus run out of his own room and to Sirius who had followed his mum and sister out of the room and was standing in the hall. She heard her older brother calling for her not to be punished but his attempt was fruitless. Solstice wished he would just stay upstairs with Regulus.

Afterwards, Solstice stalked up the stairs slowly, feeling different. She knew Sirius was sometimes punished in much more harsh way. That her parents had used magic to reprimand, but she had never experienced it.

When she got to the upstairs corridor that was home to her and her siblings rooms, Regulus and Sirius were sitting together on the floor. They immediately bombarded her with questions and quiet affirmations. Solstice only had one thing to say.

"You lied, " She said looking up at Sirius. She felt more childish then she ever had in her entire life. "You always said it wasn't a big deal when you got in trouble." Solstice slipped into her room and left her brothers in the hall.