8 I'm Cursed

I close my eyes as the temperature drops and I feel frost forming on my skin.

"Enough."

The wind fades. The cold fades. And I open my eyes to find Maria with the tip of a sword touching the Flurry's throat.

"I'm sorry," she whispers.

"It's not your fault." The Nutcracker's eyes turn toward me. "And can you not keep your mouth shut?"

"I--"

"Ever since we first met all you've done is complain and degrade me. I am a princess whether you see that or not. Either you can respect me, or you can walk out that door."

I bow my head. "I'm sorry."

"What's your name?" Maria turns to the Flurry.

"Eira."

"Eira, will you help me get him upstairs."

"Yes, your highness."

"No need for that." Maria smiles. They lift me to my feet and begin to drag me up the stairs.

Great, both of them want me dead and I'm stuck between them.

---------------------------------------------

Maria
--------

My legs hang off the side of the roof, my hands rest at my sides. I try to imagine where my castle is in the dark.

Sugar plum princess.

I turn my head away, blinking away the tears.

"Princess Maria?"

I look up to find Eira watching me with a pitiful smile.

I sigh. "Sit."

"Thank you." She takes the spot next to me. "What's happened?"

I swallow. "I'm cursed. I thought Fritz might be the one to break it, but his skull is too thick. I'm wretched, aren't I? I'm horrible? I'm a doll for goodness sakes."

She tilts her head to the side. "What do you mean?"

I frown at her, the tears streaming down my face. "You can't see it, but Fritz can."