prologue

✦ —•• J N K ••— ✦

Concrete walls with pastel colors, that was my usual view for the past 15 years of my life. I've been stuck here in this household for a quite long while.

I am homeschooled ever since. I have no friends. I am also not allowed to go out. If I do, it's just during the Christmas season where I need to buy gifts for our annual Christmas party and I'm also with my bodyguards.

I haven't even explored the whole city and I'm not familiar with the town I'm living in. When I go out, I am only given two hours to stroll through the mall and after that, my bodyguards will send me home.

When my parents held parties, I am asked to stay in my room. I'm not allowed to be seen by their guests or anyone they know. I don't even know if someone knows about my existence other than the helpers and securities in our mansion.

My ways to divert my attention from my issues are painting and reading. It's a leisure activity that entertains and relaxes me at the same time.

There is no right or wrong in painting. Everything is there to describe or show what you feel and what you want to express. In reading, I like the fact that I can be lost, explore and experience a world that's not mine. At least in books, I get to be normal.

I have no idea why they're treating me like this. My brother is free to do whatever he pleases, he goes to clubs and parties, he has friends, and is enrolled in a prestigious school. He's also introduced to any gatherings my mother and father host and attend.

I heard that I'm considered as the family's black sheep.

But I didn't complain. Ever. Somehow, I realized that I am still lucky. I have shelter and foods to eat. My needs are provided and I should be contented. But in the deepest part of me, I truly hope that someday, I'll be able to do the things I wanted.

I'll be free to do whatever I want and be like a normal girl. Go to school, have friends, hang out with them and just be free with anything.

However, it seems like freedom is out of my reach as of now.

My father says that they're doing this for my safety, but I'm not a kid anymore. I am capable of protecting myself.

But I understand.

"Jennie, stay in your room. Some of our investors are coming over." I nodded at my mother's statement one time we were having dinner.

"Yes, mom."

I glanced at my brother, Chan, who looked so sorry for me. I don't want to give myself a pity party so I gave him a small smile to assure him that I'm alright.

Even if we're dealt with differently, I still love my brother. He's the only one I can confess my problems to, he and my father understand me the most.

"Charie, I think it's-"

"No." My father wasn't able to finish his objection when my mother cut him off. He then glanced at me and gave me a sad smile.

I am not really close to my mother. Between my parents, I am more intimate and close with my father.

It's just that something in her seems so far away for me to reach. She's cold and indifferent towards me but after the years of being with her, I realized she's just like that.