Chapter 8

A/N So I'm finally back from the void, I guess. I originally started this story in middle school, and now I'm in college. It's been years since I've read the books, but I've had the itch to update this story for a while now. If there are any inaccuracies, which I'm sure there will be plenty, please point them out! I haven't looked at this story in so long and I was shocked at the amount of people asking for an update. The fact that people still read my story from middle school is a little mortifying, I won't lie.

"Well I mean, in our defense, you can't blame us for deferring to the smartest person in the room," James said.

"I am unaware if I should be offended at that," replied Dumbledore.

"You should be," remarked Professor McGonagall, a mischievous glint in her eye.

"I just- this is insane," said Lily standing up from her chair, "you'll have to forgive me for this momentary freak out, but I feel like the shock is finally wearing off. Dumbledore, what the hell? So you're telling me that Sirius is still on the run, despite you knowing full well he's innocent. You sent my son to live with muggle relatives instead of literally anyone sane, I-"

"Lily, calm down I think we just need to take things slowly-" Sirius started, but was silenced by a look from Lily.

"Just look at my son! He was a baby yesterday! We haven't even thought about the fact that our house is blown up and we have nowhere to stay!" she continued, "James, you simply have to back me up here."

"Lily, I-" Dumbledore started, but was cut off by James.

"No, no, she's got a point, Dumbledore. What have you been doing for the last fifteen years while our son lived with terrible people and apparently faced death again and again?" he asked, leaving a silence in the room.

Dumbledore was very visibly taken aback. He did not expect the tables to be turned against his favor so quickly.

"Dad," Harry started, the word feeling foreign on his tongue, "everything is fine, I promise."

"Everything is clearly not fine, Harry," James replied. The act of addressing Harry as such laid heavy in his heart as he realized that he had missed Harry's first word, his first steps, his entire life. Sitting before him was a boy almost fully grown, that James did not know. However, that did not mean that he loved Harry any less.

"How about we get Harry's things and find a place to stay, because contrary to what you may believe, being dead for fifteen years is quite tiring," Lily said.

"I can arrange a place for you to stay while you collect Harry's things," McGonagall suggested.

"That would be wonderful, Minerva," Lily replied, walking over and grabbing Harry's hand. She led him towards the door as James and Sirius moved to follow her, "Come on boys, we're going to go kick my sister's ass."