3: You don't exist

Start from the beginning

"Reckless is my middle name, Anne." I pointed out as we reached my locker.

"This is why your fosters don't let you drive anymore."

"They never know what I'm doing, and they never care. I can't drive as far as they know. But I'm still going to race."

"And who's car do you use? Yours was towed with your last speeding ticket."

"Mr. Wells let's me use his mustang." I opened my locker.

Anne gave me a strange look. "You mean that old guy across the street?"

"Yeah." I smiled at her as I hung my jacket in the locker. "He's quite nice."

She snorted a laugh. "Girl, I can't believe you haven't gotten into real trouble yet. But if you end up being murdered, it's your fault."

"If I die by someone else's hand, it'll be you."

She laughed. "Too true."

Once I was done with my locker we made our way to the vending machines since I didn't eat breakfast and I was starving. On our way Chelsea, one of our friends joined us and started a conversation with Anne about some play they were working on in drama.

Chelsea was nice, but I didn't know her too well. We'd only talked a few short times. If Anne wasn't around, it was... awkward. Still, I was fine having her around. She had some pretty interesting stories about her crazy family. It almost made me want a family, a crazy one at that. But, I didn't have anyone, and I never would.

I got some animal crackers and a drink as the two chatted. Apparently they were doing Peter Pan, and the person playing Wendy was supposed to have surgery on her knee two days before the opening night. That had to suck.

I took a drink as I turned back to them, but my eyes caught onto someone walking by. It was Kason, wearing something Dean Winchester would probably wear. But he pulled it off well.

His eyes landed on me before I had the chance to look away. The moment they did, I turned away, facing Anne and Chelsea like I was part of their conversation.

Kason walked by, just barely brushing past me. I could faintly smell cigarettes and maple as he did.

Why was I so aware of him suddenly? We'd gone to the same school for almost four years now, and I never paid him any mind. It was probably because I spent hours trapped with him. Yeah, that was it.

"Rylee? Hello?" Anne was waving her hand in front of my face.

I straightened as I pulled out of my thoughts. "Hm? Sorry, what?"

She chuckled. "You're so spacy, you need more sleep. I'm going to the drama room really quick to help with things, is that cool?"

"Yeah, sure. No need to ask permission, weirdo." I held up my food. "See? I'm all good. Go be a good person and help."

"Okay. See you in Literature. Enjoy your... crackers."

I grinned. "Will do. Bye."

The two of them left and I wandered in the opposite direction, enjoying my super healthy breakfast. It was better than nothing, so there was that at least. A few other people that went to street races asked if I would be there, like Jackson did. They were all people I'd beaten in races, but they were always so chill.

As I walked around waiting for the bell to ring, I passed a group of guys gathered on the stairs talking too loudly for this early in the morning. Among them, leaning back on the railing, was Kason. And I noticed him again. What's the stalker issue, Rylee?

He turned right as I noticed him (of course), and caught my eyes. A smirk tugged at his lips.

I quickly looked away like no one was there and continued walking. He seemed more noticeable to me... somehow. It had to be because I met him under such strange circumstances.

School was boring, as usual, though I was actually focused today so I could avoid breaking my brain on homework tonight. The test in Literature was... Let's just say, I might need to retake it.

In Humanities, I plopped into my normal middle seat where it was easiest to fall asleep, and stopped when Kason walked into the room. Since when did he have this class? Oh, wait. I vaguely remembered now. He and I both fell asleep in here once and got detention because of it.

I focused on my desk like it was the coolest object ever, avoiding Kason's attention at all costs. He was annoying, and I hoped to avoid catching his notice. Thankfully, he didn't come over.

It made sense, though. We did openly declare hatred to each other. Talk about a good way to meet a stranger.

Throughout the day, this type of thing kept happening. I would see Kason, he would see me, and I would look away and act like I didn't see him. I saw enough of him in that stupid warehouse.

At the end of the day, I was walking out of the school, well, more like stomping, when someone stepped in front of me so fast I ran into them.

"Ow." I rubbed my nose as I stepped back. Then my eyes met green ones that belonged to, you guessed it, Kason.

His expression was... smug, if not a bit cocky and amused. "Hey, Rylee."

"Oh, it's you. I was just leaving." I turned to do just that.

"Freeze. Back up."

I rolled my eyes as I turned back to him. "Yes?"

"You have been pointedly avoiding me." He tilted his head. "Why is that?"

"You're annoying. Why wouldn't I?"

"And yet you're the one who seemed to find me all day."

I crossed my arms. "Why, you ask? You don't exist. That's right. The warehouse didn't happen, I didn't meet you. It's not real, so you don't exist."

Kason only stared at me. "You're insane."

"Thank you."

"So you really think it was that bad? I figured you'd be tougher than that." He was doing what Anne did all the time: baiting.

"Can you blame me? That was horrible, and I immediately associate you with it. So yeah, I would like to act like it didn't happen."

Kason smirked. There it was again. "Well whether you like it or not, it did happen, sweetheart."

I stepped right up to him, raising onto my toes so I was eye to eye with him. "You are just having fun now, aren't you? Alright, I see how it is."

Kason raised his eyebrows, amused. "Do you now?"

I smirked right back. "You have made this a game. See how much you can tease and annoy Rylee before she cracks. Right? Well, then, challenge accepted."

His interest seemed to spark. "Go on."

"I will return the favor. I will torment you, I'll be annoying right back. Whoever doesn't crack wins."

"Wins what?"

"Whatever the winner decides." I finally stepped back. "That's what you wanted, isn't it?" I raised my eyebrow in challenge.

"You got it, Rylee." He held his hand out. "Deal?"

I grinned victoriously as I grabbed his hand. "Deal."

--------------------

At least I'm having a good start with this story. We'll see how it goes I guess. Thanks for reading (. ❛ ᴗ ❛.)