Just Like You: Tested and True-Part Seven

Ayla Bowen

As I walked up the driveway I saw the front curtains flutter. Auto had been waiting for me. I walked in and left my shoes by the front door. As I was closing the door I looked up at Auto and froze. The look on his face was hilarious. I started cracking up and almost slammed the door shut. 

"What are you doing!?" I asked still trying to breathe again. Auto didn't even crack a smile; he must have worked on this for a while. 

"Your late." He said in a deep voice trying to sound authoritive and uspet. I glanced around the corner so I could see the time on the microwave.

"No, I'm not." I smiled and walked over to sit in the chair across from him, pulling my knees up to my chest. 

"Wait, what time did I tell you to be home?" Auto whispered in his normal voice. I smiled and pushed back a curtain so I could see the moon just slightly starting to rise.

"You told me to be home at eleven. It's not even nine yet." I turned my head to look at him and it seemed like he was studying me. I sighed and stared back at him, doing my very best to keep a straight face. His face relaxed after a few seconds and he leaned back against the armrest on the couch. His eyebrows creased together again and he never broke his stare.

"What?" I asked annoyed. I really wasn't in the mood for whatever game he had planned right now. He himself sighed and came and sat on the floor in front of me. "What's wrong?" he tilted his head to one side like Kylee does when she's curious. His green eyes were staring up at me and he reminded me so much of dad right now, that I had to look away from him.

"Michael thinks I'm using him. To get over Dad." I rested my chin on me knees and waited, I knew he would have something to say. We always go: 'let-me-give-you-a-whole-butt-load-of-advice' on each other when something is wrong with one of us.

"Well did you tell him your not using him and tell him otherwise?"

"How do you know I'm really not using him?" I challenged. He gave me the 'did-you-really-just-ask-me-that-question-you-stupid-idiot' look and continued after he was satisfied I knew what that look was for.

"Because you wouldn't be this stressed or sad or whatever about it otherwise. Talk little girl." He said pointing to me and glaring. I was about to protest about the 'little girl' part but diecided against it and shut my mouth when I saw the look on his face. I took a deep breath and told him about our conversation and him taking me to the spot by the lake. When I was finished, he stood up and walked into the kitchen. I followed after him, surprised that he didn't say anything yet.

"I don't really know what to say. Just prove it to him I guess. Let him know that he means a lot to you." I nodded and grabbed the water out of his hand. He gave me a look and took another one out of the fridge. "You don't think I didn't already do that?" Auto looked at me and shrugged his shoulders. "Knowing him, no. You didn't. He needs more then what you told him. He's liked you for a while Ayla. Iv'e just been to blind to see that he is actually better for you then Alex was. I mean I liked Alex, but whenever I thought of how Michael liked you, I saw you two together better then you and Alex. And now that Alex is out of the picture, who knows?" I smiled at him and headed towards the stairs. 

"Thanks." I said over my shoulder, walking up the stairs. 

"Ayla wait." I walked back into the kitchen and he pulled me closer to him, gripping my elbow. He spoke low, and serious. I hadn't heard him talk like this since he told me what happened to our father. "You need to go talk to mom. Otherwise I'm afraid she'll lock herself up again. I know your pissed at her and so am I but we have to fix things now so they can be better if you plan on going with Jaycee and Conner in a few weeks." He looked at me sternly and let go of my elbow, grabbing his water bottle and started walking down the hall towards the garage.