Chapter 5: The environment affects the way the people live.

He ignored the call and waited until it ended. Fortunately, he always set his phone in a vibrating mode. Or else, Lan Xing would hear his phone ringing. Who knows if that guy would advise him to take the call? Usually, it happens when you have a roommate.

"Will you take the bath first?" Lan Xing asked after he settled Hong Yue's luggage beside his bed.

Hong Yue shook his head. "You take it first. I have to sort my things first." He told him before he wiped his hands in the apron he wore. "The food will be ready after thirty minutes." He told him before he took off the apron and hang it on the side. Then, he went to his room.

Lan Xing looked at the food cooking and smelled the aroma. Suddenly, he felt hungry. However, he went to take a bath first.

Meanwhile, Hong Yue entered his room and locked the door before he opened his suitcases. Then, his eyes shone when he saw the anime figures. "Fortunately, they didn't break!" he exclaimed before he arranged them on the cabinet. He also pasted the posters and placed the standee on the foot of the bed before he sorted out his clothes.

Fifteen minutes later, Lan Xing went out of the bathroom with his towel on his head. "Hm?" he muttered when he saw Hong Yue's phone in the kitchen counter and about to fall off after it vibrated. He caught it and saw the screen is lit up. There's an incoming call from 'Huang Anyi'. His fingers subconsciously moved to answer it. "..." crap. This isn't my phone! He thought and was forced to answer. "Hello?" he called.

A gasp can be heard from the other line. "May I know who this is, please?" it was a man's voice.

"I am Lan Xing. I'm Hong Yue's roommate." Lan Xing answered. The other person's tone is so polite.

The person breathed a sigh of relief. "How is young m... he?" the person immediately changed his address.

"He's... fine." Lan Xing answered and looked at the closed door of Hong Yue's room. "I'm sorry if I answered the call on his behalf. It's an accident, and his phone was left in the kitchen counter." He explained.

"'kitchen counter'? What is he doing in the kitchen?" the person asked.

"... to cook?" Lan Xing answered. What other thing is there to do in the kitchen aside from cooking and washing the dishes? He thought.

"'cook'!" the other exclaimed as if they had received a shock.

Lan Xing's brows knit. "Is there something wrong? Are you alright?" he asked.

"How dare y... mmph!" the person on the other line said. "I'm fine." He spoke after a while.

"Would you like to speak with Hong Yue?" Lan Xing asked. This person is weird? He thought. They speak very politely. Is Hong Yue really a descendant of Dracula? He thought when he remembered the over-polite manner of speaking of the vampires in the movies.

"No..." the person on the other line answered. "Please don't tell young m... him you had spoken to me. Farewell." He said before the line was cut.

"..." too weird. Lan Xing thought as he stared at Lan Xing's phone's screen. Was it because of them Hong Yue grew up weird? He thought. He walked towards Hong Yue's door and knocked. When he saw the door opened, he spoke. "You forgot your phone in the kitchen. I'm scared the broth would spill on it." He told him as he handed him his phone.

"Oh, thank you." Hong Yue said and received his phone. "What?" he said when Lan Xing was still holding his phone.

"... nothing." Lan Xing answered and let go of the phone. I'd better not tell him the weird person called. He thought. Or else, Hong Yue would become weirder. He noticed Hong Yue's a nice person despite his weird behaviors. He is polite, and is considerate. He is also sensible. It must be Hong Yue was influenced by the other people thus he became like this. Added to the fact that he had lost his family... he shook his head before he left.

"... what was that for?" Hong Yue muttered when he saw Lan Xing's weird gaze on him and he even shook his head. "... he's not gay, is he?" he said as his brows knit before he closed the door. He may be writing a BL, and is a fudanshi, but he had never dreamed of having a homosexual relationship. Not that he is a homophobic, nor a hypocrite. If he is, how can he write a BL story? 

It's just that, even a relationship with a female, it didn't cross his mind. Whoever he'd fall in love with, he'll live it to the fate. Thus, even if Lan Xing is gay, and would fall for him, he wouldn't judge him. He already considered him as his friend. But, anything more romantic than friendship, he's going to leave it to the fate.

In short, he'll cross the bridge when he gets there.

"Hong Yue." He heard Lan Xing called outside as he knocked on his door. "The food's cooked." He told him.

"I'll be there!" Hong Yue answered after his laptop started. He set up all the apps and the tabs he'll be using including the notes before he wore his slippers and ran outside.

"I've already set up the table." Lan Xing said.

Hong Yue's eyes lit up. He's really reliable! He thought and chuckled. "Thank you." He told him before he scooped up the rice for them both. Then, he served themselves the dish. "Let's dig in!" he said as he picked up his chopsticks and started eating.

Lan Xing picked up a chunk of beef and ate it. His eyes widened and he looked at Hong Yue in surprise. "This is very delicious!" he told him.

Hong Yue shyly smiled. "Thank you." He told him.

"You're not a delinquent." Lan Xing said again. "How were you caught in your previous university? What did you do so late in the night?" he curiously asked.

"I happened to be at the wrong place at the wrong time." Hong Yue answered. "I caught a teacher and a student enjoying themselves in the dark." He told him.

"ACK!" Lan Xing choked on his food. Hong Yue immediately gave him a glass of water. "Just because of it?" he said in disbelief.

"Well..." Hong Yue said and he scratched his cheek. "They mistook me for a ghost, and the matter exploded. Everyone panicked and it caused an alarm in the school. You see – " he looked at Lan Xing who stared at him in shock. " – our school is haunted. That's what it's famous for." 

(A/N: this author is out of her rhythm.)