The wizard asserted.

"That's a terrible idea."

Arya murmured, shaking her head: she knew to whom belonged the house Gandalf was referring to and she feared that her dwarf friends would not be welcome.

"Whose house? Are they friend or foe?"

Thorin asked him, now resigned to the idea of ​​having no other options.

"Neither. He will help us or he will kill us. But we have no choice."

The company began to move quickly through the wilderness as the first rays of sunlight illuminated the mountains. Soon the sixteen fellows realized they were being followed, but there was no orc behind them, but a huge, angry brown bear. The dwarves, the sorcerer, the halfling and the girl ran relentlessly, as fast as they could, but the bear didn't seem to give ground. It was now late afternoon when they reached the dwelling mentioned by Gandalf. It was a large country house, surrounded by a vast and lush garden, which was bordered by a high wooden fence. The dwarves hurried through the gate, came to the door and began throwing themselves against it, hoping to open it. After a few unsuccessful attempts, they noticed a latch blocking it, right above their heads, so they pushed it up and dashed inside, immediately followed by the young woman, the hobbit and the sorcerer. Once in safety, they closed the door with lightning speed, leaving the beast out.

"What is that?"

Ori exclaimed, still visibly shocked, turning to Gandalf.

"That is our host!"

He replied calmly, with a hint of a smile. Now all the dwarves and the hobbit were looking at him with astonishment.

"His name is Beorn, he's a skin-changer. Sometimes he's a huge black bear, sometimes he's a great strong man. The bear is unpredictable, but the man can be reasoned with. However, he is not over fond of dwarves."

He explained.

"But you can rest easy. You'll be safe here tonight."

He added finally, noting the worried expressions of his companions.

Inside, the house had a large rectangular room, provided with a big fireplace lit, on the wall opposite the entrance door, and a long wooden table in the center. On the right there was a modest pantry, which the dwarves used to prepare dinner. On the left, instead, there was another door that led to the stables.
Shortly after arriving in the house, the dwarves had already prepared all kinds of dishes. The sixteen travelers sat down at the table, indulging in jokes and laughter, and momentarily forgetting all the problems and dangers of the journey: that night, at least, they would be safe.

Having finished their meal and done the dishes, one by one, some before, some later, the dwarves went to bed in the barn of the stables. In the large dining room, only Thorin, Balin, Fili and Kili, Arya, Bilbo and Gandalf were still sitting at the table.

"It would be better for us to rest, tomorrow we must resume our journey."

Said the white-bearded dwarf, who, having finished smoking his pipe, was now heading for the door.

"Balin is right, don't stay too late."

Thorin added, in a calm and authoritative voice, following his friend towards the stables.

"I believe it is time for me to go too."

Grumbled the sorcerer.

"Are you coming, Bilbo?"

The hobbit nodded and, having said good night to the three youngsters, they both headed for the barn.

Fili went to the fireplace, took a chair, sat on it and began to fix his blond hair, which was still all messed up from the night before.