50 - The Final Gift

A/N: This is a long chapter as I wanted to fit everything into one part for the desired effect. So, just a warning that you might want to stick the kettle on first or grab some popcorn (or maybe even fruit loops 😉) Yes - it's one of those chapters... Enjoy!

*****

I hovered in the hallway, just watching him.

I watched as he moved expertly around the kitchen like I'd seen him do already so many times before; putting on the pot of coffee and thoughtfully selecting out two mugs which he carefully arranged side by side in front of him on the counter.

I watched as his hand hovered over the second mug and, despite it being identical to the first one, his whole body seemed to sag brokenly as his long slender fingers tentatively brushed along the smooth curve of the handle. An act so subtle; yet so horrifically heartbreaking.

Not being able to bear the sad sight any longer, I took a deep breath and stepped out of the hallway, softly clearing my throat to make my presence known.

Draco's head shot up, his silver grey eyes widening guiltily as he quickly pulled back his hand and instead agitatedly drove it through his hair.

"Ivy," he said, his voice oddly strangled as white-blond strands flopped lazily back down in a tousled mess over his brow, "I was just making some coffee."

I noticed his pale face bore a pained expression as I moved towards him, and I had to stop myself from hurtling across the room to throw my arms around him and kiss every inch of his torment away.

"Thank you," I said instead, barely recognising my own voice as it came out in a trembled whisper; the huge lump in the back of my throat preventing me from speaking properly.

The sadness in the room was too much and it hurt to even look at him, but I couldn't stop because I knew that very soon I would not be able to see him ever more.

He had made us scrambled egg on toast which I barely managed to eat. We both sat at the island in silence, our only communication through our eyes meeting sadly as we simultaneously pushed our forks morosely across our plates.

"Have you got everything?" Draco asked quietly, when afterwards we prepared to leave for the studio.

The last time I'd ever be in the penthouse.

I nodded, not being able to speak; my bags packed by my feet, full of items that I had acquired since living with Draco.

Silently, he bent down, grabbing the larger of the bags, and carried it towards the lift doors.

I tearily looked around, saying one last silent goodbye to the place that had been my home, taking every part of it in. It had only been a month but it felt like a lifetime; a small life of happiness I had finally shared with the boy I had loved for so long.

And then, trying to ignore the horrific hollowness in my heart, I picked up my other bag and turned around, stepping into the lift after Draco.

*****

"Do you think you'll carry on with the classes?"

I looked up from where I was stood, halfway through setting out the easels in preparation for the final two classes of the term.

Draco was watching me with the saddest expression in his eyes.

It had been an odd sort of atmosphere between us; neither of us not quite knowing how to act around the other.

We had spent the day attempting to transform the studio into a liveable and homely environment, as well as still making sure there remained enough space for my art and the classes.