Chapter 67: Unpredictability

Start from the beginning

"O-Oh, hey, Wind... didn't expect you to show up. Well, we better get to our bunkers now. See ya!"

Like I'd ever believed that. Before he can scurry away, I grab his collar and pull him right in front of me so I can confront him for his latest antics. Of course, I give him a chance to speak.

"Look, in my defense, I didn't do any [Magecrafting] on my end! I was just trying to help out a fellow mage in need. I swear, I learned my lesson from the first time!"

I sigh once he finishes his statement. Guess that's all I need to know what happened in full context.

"I can see that. But even if you were just teaching him the [Magecrafting] basics from your experience, you should be aware of the consequences, too. You're lucky the whole building didn't explode because of the methods he learned from you."

"I-I know..."

Kazu hangs his head and frowns in response. I know his intentions behind it were genuinely good, but he has to be aware of the consequences of his actions. I'm not going to be around for long and...

"I think he gets the idea, kid."

Hearing his voice, I turn around to see Ol' Wally approaching me. This time, his jolly demeanor is replaced with a stern expression when he looks at me.

"I get what he did was wrong. But you have to remember that he's still human and a kid behind this fictional body. He's bound to make mistakes and so are you. Besides, he's not a helpless boy. Just seeing the look in his eyes is enough to tell me that he's got the guts and smarts to survive this fictional world. And the real world, too."

Kazu having the "guts" and the "smarts"? Huh, I'll give him the "smarts" part, but the "guts"? That's not how I see him. I don't even see him a strong mage or anything like that here.

"However, if you want to unlock his true potential, you have to be more than just a protector. You have to encourage him. Teach him how to decide on his own. If you don't, and you keep scolding him over minor mistakes, then chances are he won't able to grow an independent adult."

An independent... adult? I guess he's right. Even if this isn't really a minor mistake, I might as well cut down on the scoldings from now on. I just sigh in defeat as I stare at Kazu.

"Just... don't do this again, okay, Kaz?"

To my relief, his depressed expression perks up into a smile, and he says, "Yeah. I'll try to clean up the station as my way of apology."

"No, we'll clean it up." Azel approaches my brother as they turn to the damaged station. "It's partially my fault for destroying one of the stations. I am a [Force Blade] member and I have to make sure I have a part to play in the guild."

I smile at their touching gesture. Guess that's one less dilemma to worry about.

"Thanks, Azel. I have to honest with you, you're the first male friend of the same age as me I have in <Volo> yet."

That is true. I'm glad that he's not alone anymore. Though for some reason, instead of giving another smile to Kazu, Azel's eyes widen and they rub the back of their head as they blush.

"Um... About that... I'm not actually male. I'm not even a female either."

Wait, they are not male or female? Could that mean...

"H-Huh? I don't follow..."

Of course, Kazu is a bit confused about this. Before I can explain, Wallaby steps forward and approaches my brother.