Chapter Five ~ Lucy

Start from the beginning

"Yep. Have a good weekend."

"You, too."

My attention shifts down the hall, where Izzy is jumping up and down and waving her arms around like a lunatic in front of our lockers. What is she doing?

"Con-grat-u-lations!" she sings and hugs me when I reach her. "Let's go claim your prize."

"Why are you so happy?"

"Because." She steps back and throws her bag on her shoulder. "It's Friday, it's sunny outside, and you just beat June."

"I'm glad I could oblige." Ever since I told her the details regarding my student council impeachment, Izzy's been convinced June went to Ms. Wright and requested my resignation. Why a teacher would listen to a student and act on her recommendation is beyond me, so of course I think she's wrong.

"You don't deserve what happened to you," Izzy says as I gather my things. "I still think you should report it."

"To who?" I ask as I shut my locker. "I highly doubt the principal would take my side over staff." I didn't even bother to tell my parents. They don't need any more stress.

"Ms. Wright's only been here a year," Izzy disputes me. "This is a democracy, not a dictatorship."

I shoot her a side-eye as we start to walk. "Look around. We're in high school. This is the definition of a dictatorship."

She sighs. "I was referring to the fact you were voted into office."

I refuse to comment. Losing my position is a sore spot, but in reality, probably for the best. The relief that overcomes me when I get home each day tells me I'm not ready for more Holton High than necessary. I know I've encountered only one nasty person, but I still feel the weight of people's stares. Nick, Brooke, and Willow are the only people who have had a real conversation with me since the first day of school. Losing the student council gig is most likely a blessing in disguise.

As we near the main office, Izzy asks, "Are you seeing the Doc tonight?"

I nod. "Are you going to the game?"

"Not without you."

Her response hurts my heart. "Izz. Don't miss out on things because of me. It's your senior year. Go have fun."

She frowns. "It wouldn't be fun without you. And besides, between your shrink and me, you'll be back to the old Luce in no time. I can wait to watch football players in tight pants."

My brow jumps. "Can you now?" I know how Izzy feels about tight pants. She practically swoons at the sight of a guy in skinny jeans.

"Hey. I'm not that addicted."

I smile, ready to prove her wrong. "Really? Did you get a good look at Wes today?"

Her eyes grow wide. "Oh my god, I did." She sets her hand against her chest. "So. Hot."

I laugh. "My friend, you are beyond addicted."

We reach the office, and I pull open the door just as someone is leaving from the opposite side. She stumbles forward and I shuffle back, both of us caught off guard. Our eyes meet, and my laughter fades. Not her. One confrontation is enough this week.

June's features twist as she regains her composure. "Coming to pick up your pity prize?"

I try to walk past her, but she steps in my way. Does she really want an answer?

"You only won because the committee felt sorry for you," she snipes.

Despite my suddenly dry throat, I manage, "They don't even know me."