Chapter Five ~ Lucy

"Hello, Huskies. As the end of this first week draws to a close, we have some late afternoon announcements."

I look up from highlighting my chemistry book as the principal's voice interrupts sixth period over the PA system.

"First, your class representatives would like to remind everyone homecoming is two weeks away. Tickets for the dance will go on sale Monday in the cafeteria. Please consider supporting the event by purchasing a Cody Cunningham memorial bracelet, also available during the lunch hour."

My cheeks turn crimson, and I slump in my seat. Every time someone says his name it's like a punch to the gut.

"Second, staff would like to remind students to park in the student lot only. Parking in lot A is forbidden during school hours. From now until the end of the year, students will serve detention if their vehicle is found in lot A."

Someone groans behind me.

"And finally, the results of the Holton High Alumni Association Scholarship Contest are in."

My ears perk up a bit. I forgot I entered an essay before the shit hit the fan.

"The third-place winner of a $100 scholarship is ..." Mr. Hughes reads the name. I don't know her or the second-place winner.

"In first place, and the winner of $300, is senior June Summers."

I smirk. It figures.

"And, last but not least, the $500 grand prize goes to senior Lucy Anderson."

Did he just say my name?

"Well done, Lucy. Congratulations to all the winners. Awards can be picked up in the main office." The principal pauses, then says, "Don't forget we have a home football game tonight against Kensington. Go Huskies!"

I'm stunned I won.

"Nice job." Nick compliments me from the lab table beside mine.

"Thanks."

My cell vibrates in my pocket, and I pull it out just enough to glance at the screen. It's a text message from Izzy: Congrats! Victory Freezy Wheezy on me.

I smile. Freezy Wheezies are what we call frozen drinks from the gas station. In all reality I should buy her one, because she's been driving me to school all week. The police returned my car this summer after their investigation, but I've yet to drive it. Just the thought gives me hives.

"So," our chemistry teacher continues after the interruption, "homework for the weekend."

Irritated groans surround me.

"Read through chapter two. Our first lab will be next week." The bell rings. "And make sure you think about a lab partner!" She raises her voice over the slamming of book covers and shuffling feet.

"Lucy." Nick catches up to my side in the hallway. "Are you going to the game tonight?"

I shake my head.

"Why not?"

Telling him I have an appointment with my therapist is out of the question, so I say, "I have other plans."

"Like what?"

I bite my lip while I search for an excuse. "Stuff with family," finally comes out of my mouth. The truth is, even if I didn't have something to do, I wouldn't go to the game. Being social isn't high on my list of priorities lately.

We reach his locker before we get to mine, and he hesitates, like he doesn't know if he should stop or not. "Okay, then. I guess I'll see you Monday."