Chapter 7 | Sadie

Start from the beginning

"Yeah, okay that's true. But there's something about him that just doesn't sit right with me," Cody said thoughtfully. "Margot acts completely different when she is around him. She's nervous, even unassertive. She's just not herself, and he never seems to notice."

Cody's words echoed through my mind as I recalled the argument from yesterday. Nobody deserved to be with someone that made them feel powerless every second they were together. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. Was Margot my worst enemy?

"Ugh, why are we still talking about Margot?" Marcus complained. "Just let me eat my pizza in peace."

We let Marcus eat in peace. After the pizza was officially depleted, we decided to drop him off first, much to his dismay.

"Okay, just because I still live with my parents doesn't mean I'm not super rich and cool. I just like having my mom cook me dinner sometimes. All things said, don't tell ANYONE about this or I'll come murder you in your sleep."

"Bye Marcus!" we both called. When he finally entered the house and was out of earshot, Cody turned to me. 

"So sad, isn't it?" he said.

"So sad," I replied. We both burst out laughing.

I felt Cody's eyes linger on me as I laughed, reminding me that I hadn't come out to him yet.

"Uh, Cody..." I began.

"You're right! I forgot to ask you about your address," he said. "You can type it into my phone and Google Maps will do the rest." I nodded my head silently. Maybe it could wait.

Around ten minutest later, Cody parked right outside my building. His eyes widened slowly in recognition. "Wait a second... this is where Margot lives! I gave her a ride once."

"Totally crazy, right?" I chose not to mention that we were also apartment neighbors. That would've blown his mind.

"Darling, fate is not on your side," he stated sympathetically. "Well, I guess I'll see you around Brooks."

I smiled back. "See you around, Cody." 

I admit, his warm car seemed so much cozier than the freezing cold air that surrounded it. But I knew I couldn't stay.

"Bye Sades!" Cody shouted as I approached the door to the complex. I waved back. So we were on a nickname basis now? 

By the time I climbed up the stairs to my floor, I felt the exhaustion begin to catch up to me. My legs felt like strawberry jelly as I turned into the correct hallway after two failed attempts.

I gasped as I suddenly made contact with something in front of me. For the second time this week, I found myself unintentionally face-to-face with Margot Lopez. She was wearing a black sweatshirt with matching black sweatpants. How I wanted to be in those comfy-looking sweatpants right now. 

"Jesus Sadie, it's 4 am," Margot said in surprise. What was she doing up so late?

"Late Night Fridays, am I right?" I joked, offering up my hand for a high five.

Margot furrowed her brow in confusion. "Why?"

I looked at the ground solemnly as I pulled back my rejected hand. Lack of sleep was definitely getting to me.

"Why, Sadie?" Margot repeated, her voice growing irritated.

"I thought this was the kind of situation that warranted a high five," I replied quietly. "I guess I was wrong."

"No, not that. Why are you getting back so late?"

"Marcus, Cody, and I stopped at Giordano's on the way home," I explained.

Margot pursed her lips. "I guess it's none of my business how you choose to spend your nights, but just know that I disapprove, tremendously."

Despite every part of my brain begging me not to, I stuck my tongue out at her in response. "That's what I think of your disapproval," I stated indignantly. What was wrong with me?

"What the hell is wrong with you?" Margot demanded.

"Sorry, I don't know what that was," I said, shaking my head in mortification. "I think I'm tired."

"Okay 'tired,' I think it's time you went to bed," Margot suggested.

"Fine, I will. But just admit that I stayed longer than you," I said smugly. "I'm the more dedicated lawyer!"

Margot gave a short laugh. "Sadie, sleeping doesn't count." 

"Gosh, dang it. I thought you didn't notice," I replied sadly.

A genuine smile formed on Margot's face, making me smile too.

"But I have a question."

"Hit me."

"I was wondering who's jacket this was," I said as I slid it off of my shoulders. "I thought it was Cody or Marcus', but I think someone else in the office might have given it to me before they left. I know you've worked at Parker and Johnson for a while now. Do you recognize it?"

Margot shook her head immediately. "No, I don't. But I think you should keep it. It suits you."

"Really?" I asked in disbelief.

"Yeah."

We stood there for a moment, me grinning awkwardly, and Margot with her signature half-smile.

"See you Monday?" I asked finally.

"Monday," she replied.

I watched as Margot entered the door next to mine. I wondered if her apartment, just like the door, was also identical to mine. I imagined how she'd decorated the small space enough to make it hers. A big sofa placed in the living room for watching TV. A mirror in her bedroom for styling her hair perfectly.

It was strange to think about. Two different people, coming from completely unalike backgrounds, with alike places to call home. Did Margot miss her old home like I did? What if underneath all that business formal was a scared little girl like me?