Chapter 23 | Sadie

The burgundy dress I reluctantly chose to wear was scratchy and uncomfortable. My hair was done in an impractical updo and my heels made me want to go back in time and murder the creator of these foot torture devices. But when a playful knock came at my apartment door, I couldn't help but smile. This work retreat was going to be hell, but misery sure loves company.

I opened the door, relieved to be greeted by Cody's cheeky grin. He was sporting a tailored indigo suit that somehow complemented my red dress. His hair was gelled in a fashion reminiscent of Leo DiCaprio in Titanic, the scene where Rose is coming down the stairs.

He would've been quite the sight for anyone attracted to men, but unfortunately I wasn't his target demographic. Cody self-consciously scratched the back of his neck, his ruby red cheeks matching the hue of my dress.

"So... how do I look?" he inquired, doing a boyband spin to display his get-up at all angles.

"You look great, Cody," I said with meaning. In all honesty, he sure did.

"So do you," he said with a wink. "Looking forward to being your platonic companion for the evening."

"As am I," I stated, smiling as he held out his hand to me which I took willingly. For a second, I forgot about all the stress and bullshit that had been plaguing my mind over the past week. But then a gravelly voice came from the apartment next door and all my worries came rushing back to me.

"Babe, can you tie my tie for me?"

Cody and I looked up at each other at the same time, his mischievous grin revealing that he also found Cody's inability to tie a tie ridiculous.

He chuckled with disbelief. "Sometimes I forget you and Margot are neighbors. Like how did that even happen?"

"Sheer luck, I suppose." I could feel my smile failing to reach my eyes. I heard Margot reply, but her voice was just muffled enough that her words were indistinguishable.

"Damn, these walls are thin," Cody noted, his voice low. "Let's leave quickly before I talk shit about the guy."

I agreed, walking down the hallway with him, our hands still intertwined.

~~~

Entering the elegant ballroom of the hotel, I was forced to suppress the instant urge to run away or hurl. It felt like my fight-or-flight was kicking in as I scanned the bustling atmosphere. It wasn't my first professional event, of course, but nothing could ever prepare me for these sorts of things. I took a deep breath before walking in, Cody following right behind me.

The ride here had been calm and uneventful, the two of us sitting in comfortable silence, interrupted by casual questions about work and our personal lives. For being the person at work I was most comfortable with, Cody and I actually didn't know a lot about each other.

To be fair, none of us really had many opportunities for small talk and bonding between the stressful hours of the working day. But something inside me told me he was genuinely a good guy and so I believed he was. Now, walking into the brightly lit room, surrounded by the polite chatter of associates, partners, paralegals, and other members of Parker & Johnson, I was glad to have Cody by my side.

Even so, I couldn't deter the waves of insecurity and anxiety washing over me as I entered the less than welcoming environment. I could feel the pairs of eyes staring at me, sizing me up and deciding in an instant whether I was a threat, an ally, or a liability for the firm. Being the new associate made the feeling ten times worse. I felt Cody give my hand a reassuring squeeze, giving me confidence in my moment of vulnerability.

Where I seemed to shrink into my shell at events like these, Cody seemed to gain a newfound sense of self-assurance. He was practically glowing. I wondered if he'd always been like that or if it was a skill that developed over time with practice and diligence. For my sake, I hoped the charm was acquired.