Chapter 4

no one reads this)

Keith drove up to the theater and got out, looking around. It was a wonderful theater, he had to admit it, one way or another.

He walked up to the doors, and went inside, looking around. The interior was just as nice as the exterior, so overall, the theater was a gem to the town.

He looked at one of the directors, explaining he had been invited to watch by a friend, and they nodded, rushing off to attend to other tasks.

He settled himself down in one of the middle rows, crossing his legs. He had a decent view of the stage, particularly since no one else besides the cast and such was there. Granted, he could have sat closer to the stage, but he didn't mind.

Keith hummed, staring off into space. He wasn't thinking about anything in particular, just whatever came to mind while he waited for Eli to come out and do whatever he needed.

Eli entered from the left of the stage, twirling around, clearly in costume. Keith chuckled, tilting his head to the side as he watched.

Eli spotted him and waved, before turning to the other person on stage other than the directors, the person with one of the other lead roles. Eli discussed something with them before walking away.

Eli was thrilled he'd been handed a lead role this time around. After all, it was a major turning point in his career as a Broadway actor, and it meant that people could see his potential. Overall, it excited him greatly.

For the particular scene that was being rehearsed at the moment, Eli was only an extra, but he didn't mind. It essentially gave him a minute to relax, and just watch what was happening in front of him.

Eventually, rehearsal was over, and Eli had left to change, Keith standing up.

He waited for Eli to come back out, looking at Instagram as he waited.

Pulling his satchel over his shoulder as he walked over, Eli returned, adjusting his jacket a bit before looking up at Keith.

"Hey, I can't believe you actually came!" He chuckled, smiling up at Keith, who shrugged.

"Sweetheart, please. I have a mountain load of time, set to the side just for you." Keith smiled, watching as Eli's face turned into a shade of red.

"Oh... O-okay then... Anyways, let's go." Eli muttered, still flustered as he walked out the front doors of the theater.

"So.... Where exactly is this restaurant?" Keith questioned, his hands in his pockets as he walked.

"It's down a block or so.."

"Cool."

The two walked in silence for a moment, occasionally glancing at one another. Neither particularly liked the silence -Eli honestly hated it- and neither knew what to say.

"So, what's your favorite color..?" Eli glanced at Keith for a moment, trying to capture his reaction to the simple question.

"I'd have to say.. a shade of pale yellow? I've never really thought about it." Keith shrugged, his hands in his jacket pockets. "What about you?"

" Tough one, really. I'd say....Purple. " Eli chuckled a bit.

"Really? Well, I'm not surprised. You do seem like the kind of guy who'd love purple." Keith joked, laughing.

"Yeah. Not pink though, by all means."

" Yeah.. Pink isn't the worst, but I don't like it. "

"Why?" Eli glanced at Keith from the side.

"It's...complicated..." Keith sighed and shifted his stance, stopping. In an attempt to change the subject, he pointed up. "Here we are."

" Right. " Eli pushed through the doors, instantly blasted with the warm welcoming air of the restaurant, which was a strong contrast to the colder air of the outside.

"Hello, I'll be your waited for today." A boy with a grey ponytail and brown eyes said, his name tag reading 'ALEX'.

"Alex! My man!" Eli smiled , sticking his hand out for Alex to shake.

"Who is this..?" Keith raised an eyebrow at Eli while he pointed at Alex.

"Oh, he's a friend. I helped him out financially and babysat a few times for him." Eli shrugged and Alex nodded.

"Yeah... Having a five year old at twenty-one isn't easy. Especially when you're in your last year of college, you have to pay bills, keep a roof over your family's head, and raise funds for your twin trans brother's surgery." Alex sighed, chuckling. "Doesn't help when you're the guy who supports everyone either."

" Damn... Your wife and kid must be lucky. " Keith whistled.

"Oh, I'm not married to her." Alex chuckled, blushing a bit. " And we're both lucky, with the things that have happened in our pasts, and with how many people support us."

"Shall we be seated gentlemen?" Eli said in a fake accent, bowing.

"Seated, we shall be." Keith chuckled , rolling his eyes.

Alex nodded and led them to a booth then smiled. He handed the other two menus, still holding the same smile as he walked away.

Keith hummed as he scanned through the drinks really quick, while Eli tapped his finger on the table.

"Sixteen.. He was sixteen when he had his kid, if I did the math correctly?

" Yes, he was. " Eli nodded.

"It sucks." Keith sighed. "It sucks to think of going through something like that."

" Yeah, it does... "

"Can you imagine that though? You're at your limit, your breaking point, you don't know what to say, and even if you do, how to say it is the next step of the problem. You muster up the courage and scream for help. And what if no one is there? Then you're stuck, stuck in the endless cycle, that loop of a problem." Keith stated, thanking Alex for his drink.

"I could never imagine the pain of being that alone." Eli admitted, sipping his lemonade.

"I could imagine it." Keith shrugged. "Just, put yourself in that person's shoes."

Eli nodded once more and ate  his food since it had arrived.

***

The two had separated for the night by now, and Eli laid down in his bed, staring at the ceiling, thinking of what Keith said.

"... And what if no one is there?"

'If only you knew...'