Chapter 3

Eli woke up to the soft tapping of rain on the window. He didn't have to work today, so that was nice. He could lay there all day and just exist.

Eli sighed, turning on his phone, scrolling through Instagram. He looked at one of the guitar covers he found, raising an eyebrow.

He recognized the person, as Keith. Eli wasn't aware Keith played guitar, and was interested in hearing him sing.

The set up appeared to be Keith's bedroom, which looked very basic, not too many decorations.

Keith sat cross legged as he strummed his guitar, keeping his head low.

"If I could tell her, tell her everything I see,

If I could tell her, how's she's everything to me,

But we're a million worlds apart.."

Eli frowned a bit, noticing how Keith seemed genuine. As if he'd lost someone, or liked someone, but couldn't find a way to express it.

'Whatever, it isn't my place to meddle.' Eli thought, sighing.

"That was If I Could Tell Her, from Dear Eva-"

Keith paused in the middle of his sentence, looking up at something.

"In a minute, please!" He shouted, turning back towards the camera. "Dear Evan Hansen, stick around to hear the next cover."

Eli stared off into space a minute as the camera clicked off.

His suspicions were only further proven at Keith's pause and hurried dismissal. But it didn't technically prove anything.

He got up and let Oreo out of his cage, watching as he flew about the apartment.

Eli opened his phone, checking to see if he had any new messages.

Unknown
Hey, this is Keith. Just want to make sure this number is real.

Eli choked on his water, having expected it would be him to contact Keith first, not the other way around.

Eli
Yea. It's real.

Keith
That's great, sweetheart.

'Sweetheart?' Eli blushed. 'Doesn't he have a boyfriend?'

Eli
I thought you had a boyfriend?

Keith
Aw, you think I love you or something, don't you? That's cute. Its just a nickname.

Eli
I-
Do you want to meet up sometime? I mean, I like talking in person better, depending on the person.

Eli watched as the three dots appeared, signing that Keith was typing. Eli could tell Keith was hesitant to answer, but understood.

Keith
I'll see if I can.... I can't guarantee anything, sweetheart.

Eli
Sounds good.

Eli set his phone face down, biting his nails.

He had mixed feelings now, unsure whether or not his suspicions of Keith being hurt in some way were true.

On one hand, it seemed too obvious, but on the other, it seemed as if Keith was almost... Suggesting it?

Eli sighed, letting Oreo rest on his shoulder as he pulled a carton of eggs out of the fridge.

He cracked one, and watched it sizzle in the pan.

He pat Oreo's head, feeding him a tiny bit of bacon that had already been cooked.

He sat down on the couch, eating his food.

Eli tapped his finger against the arm of the couch, silently wishing that someone else was there to fill the void in his apartment.

The void of loneliness.