The Man Who Ran Everything

Comincia dall'inizio

I slowed to a stop as I finally reached the room I was looking for. I looked through the glass window at the most successful experiment known to any scientist.

She was sprawled on a bed, her tinted red hair splayed around her face like dew on grass. Her eyes were closed showing she'd received a painful and surprising punishment right before I arrived; it was probably the shocking technique.

You would never guess she was the biggest news, the most talked about by all the scientists. The minor girl right there could have any scientist wrapped as tight as she wanted around her finger just for a sample of her blood.

"Come here." I commanded calmly without looking back as a member of staff passed by, her head facing the ground. She hesitated, probably looking around to make sure I was speaking to her, before I finally heard her slow and reluctant footsteps head towards me.

"What's your name?" I asked as she approached. Her eyes seemed to be temporarily stapled to the window of the door I’d been previously looking in. She, like the rest of them, was too intimidated by my presence to even flicker her eyes in my direction.

"M-my name?" She stuttered unsurprisingly. She was scared of me and probably thought she was too worthless for me to care about her name. She was correct about the latter, but I needed to call her by something if I planned to keep her around.

"Yes, your name. You do have one don't you?" I sighed and I heard her stutter some more.

"Yes I have one! A name I mean. Of course I do..." She trailed off with a cough as I gave her a sharp look. "Linsey." She said quietly, looking down at the floor.

"Linsey, be a dear and get an office prepared for me. I need a bedroom too, please, since I plan to be here for a while."

Arcelia

I was in my room again, on my bed. They had moved me from Varian's. I could still hear the ringing noise in my ear, like I always could after a shocking. It felt weird because I'd managed to go a long time without getting shocked.

But suddenly, when I was with Varian, I was constantly getting shocked or reprimanded. I was being punished for his actions. If he’d learn to stay silent like he was supposed to we would both remained unharmed and satisfied. Except Varian didn’t seem satisfied.

Even when he wasn’t being shocked his blue eyes held a cloud of anger in them, swirling with a mist of frustration. I couldn’t fathom why he was that way, why he acted so disobedient towards the lab coats. They hadn’t harmed him until he gave them a reason to. So why did he hold so much hatred towards them?

The lab coat hadn’t done a single thing towards Varian. I’d only remembered him writing on his clipboard, recording his observations before Varian sped over to him and snapped his neck. I remember just standing there in a daze, not understanding what had happened. Varian was going to get himself terminated within the next few days.

But I wasn’t going to let him bring me down too.

Suddenly the door slid open and two people walked in. One was a lab coat female and the other was a stranger. He had taught me manners, so instead of going closer to the wall like I wanted to I stood up, ignoring the wobbly feeling my legs had.

"Hello." I said and watched them both blink at my voice, the stranger giving a slight nod before smiling and showing me his teeth.

The stranger caught my attention because of his scar. There was a scar starting from the right corner of his forehead that slithered diagonally, cutting right through his eyelids and resting itself on his cheek.