Chapter 2

Saturday night

Mew glanced around the room, he heard the chatter of people and the clinking of glasses and plates. His head was throbbing, all he really wanted was to be home and go to sleep sleep. But his father had made it crystal clear he had to be there tonight.

The last case had left him drained, with all the investigation and long nights he had put into it, he smiled softly, it didn't matter seeing the relief in the families faces was all worth it, it's why he did what he did.

"You could mingle a little, make connections introduce yourself Suppasit" his father said in a low tone, looking at him with a fake smile plastered on his face.

"I'm fine dad, I rather stay here than pretend to like these people"

Alexander looked down at his son. He was proud of how he had turned out, even if he did come from that poor upbringing, his only concern now was Mew's lack of initiative of being part of their social circle, he had always fought him on that.

"Mew look at your sister"

Mew glanced over and saw Jom smiling brightly with her group of friends, she look elegant and delicate like always, which caused her to seem like a rare gem between fake stones. She felt his eyes on her and turned to lock eyes with her brother, she smiled widely and winked. Mew smiled fondly, she was a gift, a gift he didn't know about till he was brought into the Jongcheveevat house. He had missed multiple birthdays and the opportunity to see his little sister grow.

"I see her, she's beautiful " he said proudly "she's not snobbish, nor fake like the people here" he was happy her nanny had thought her better, if it was up to his father Jom would've become another snobbish woman greedy for status, a pawn for him to use in society.

Alexander scoffed behind him "You think everyone is fake because your used to those lowlifes you stick aro-"

"If that's all" Mew said cutting off his father "shall I leave now?" He wasn't going to argue with him again, he's the one that loved this life, Mew hated it.

Alexander looked up and smiled "Here comes your future wife treat her well Mew"

Mew looked up and saw Janis heading his way. She was wearing a snug black dress, with a deep plunge and long silver earrings that twinkled from her ears.

"Uncle J!" She said a little too chirpy for Mew's taste "Why are you hiding such a handsome man over here?" She teased as she broke the hug and glanced at Mew.

"Help me Jan, you know how he is when it comes to these types of occasions, it's like pulling tooth and nail with him"

Janis laughed and Mew took a sip of his water wishing it turned into whiskey.

"Don't worry uncle, he will get used to it someday, I mean if he marries someone from this circle this becomes a weekend thing" she giggled.

Mew wanted to roll his eyes. As if. He would never marry anyone from this circle, bunch of fakes who had outcasted him at first and now we're licking at his heels because they wanted to be on his fathers good side, even though he was the one that had worked hard for his success.

"I think I should go, I've got a new case coming up and I want to rest a little before that"

Alexander frowned "I should've brought him with me sooner, that woman spoiled him too much"

Mew felt his anger rise, he turned around swiftly his eyes dark and piercing "That woman, was my mother, when you speak of her do it with respect, she raised me without your fucking help, I am who I am not because of you but because of her. FATHER" he emphasized the last part "Don't forget you abandoned her with me, and showed up to 'claim' me when I was already old enough to realize I didn't need you" Mew took a step back, he glanced at Janis who looked away nervously.