Prologue

A war ripped into a country four decades ago, leaving behind fragmented cities which are now referred to as zones. The war left devastation in it's wake, the land was torched and resources were stretched due to overpopulation and there government was in tatters.
Once the war had subsided, a new group rose to power and no one knew who was truly in control, there were many  groups who fought to control the remaining cities, some arguing for politics others for religion.

People believe it the influence of religious groups that brought about the regulations of procreation and marital unions. The government arranged union of citizens and procreation was created to ensure the future of the country, an attempt to eventually create the perfect generation and to control the outgoings of resources to maintain their existence.  A citizen is granted an identification number at birth and through this number they are tracked and monitored throughout their lifetime, it is through this number that the government collect the necessary data to match citizens so that they can produce an offspring. 

Many of the citizens that now populate the zones, were only children during the war and their children don't know anything but the rules of the new governing body. Education is limited and there is no history taught in school rather technological advancements and political structures, there is no teaching of the arts or humanities. Older generations  who refuse to conform to the new regulations and teaching are withheld from public areas, those who spoke of the war and life before were removed from society. Grandparents were never introduced to grandchildren and families were separated and forced apart. 

This is what came about after the war and this is how life is with the zones of Novas.