Prologue

"You still won't take my hand?" his soft murmur sent chills up my spine as his hand reached out towards mine.

I hesitated before putting my hand in his. After a moment, I retreated my hand and took short strides to my horse before hoisting myself onto him. As I was about to gallop away, I heard Honghui shout at me, " I will see you again, Hua Mulan!"

Although he could not see it, I smiled.

Words mixed with the wind flew past me, brushing up my hair and a gentle whisper, as if a whisper from the night sky was made, softly crooned. Yes, we will.

-------------------------------------------------------------

As the familiar-looking gates that greeted my eyesight, I took a deep breath before entering my village.

I was soon embraced in the loving arms of my sister Xiu.

" I'm matched dear sister," she squealed as I gave her a grin before chuckling after I heard the words that continued. "He's handsome, and a little shy, but at least he's not afraid of spiders."

Tears glistened my eyes as I saw my parents nearby looking at me with happiness in their facial features.

My mom gave me a tight hug before letting me make my way over to my father who had an unreadable expression on his face. I went on one knee, bowing my head in respect.

"Dear father, there are no words to express my deep apology to you for leaving my home and risking our family's honor," A lump caught in my throat as I struggled to continue. " I lost our family sword and our armor. I don't deserve your forgiveness. That sword was so valuable to you."

At last I couldn't hold it in anymore as tear drops rolled down my cheeks. My father gingerly wiped them away before kneeling before me and pulled me into a hug, mumbling, " The most valuable thing to me is my daughter."

I hugged him tightly before the sound of drums made me turn around to see the royal flags up on horses, Commander Tung in the middle. Everyone in the village bowed on their knees and my family followed except for myself. I got down on one knee and put a fist into my barehand, bearing it in front of me.

"Hua Zhou," Commander Tung greeted my father with a pleasant smile blooming on his face." It's a pleasure to see you again old friend."

Two soldiers came from behind him, holding a long looking brown box.

I looked curiously at it before returning my gaze to Commander Tung who had a small smile on his face, directed at me.

" Hua Mulan, to thank you for your bravery and great assistance in the way, the emperor wishes to bestow upon you, a sword with the virtues for a true warrior."

I gasped in shock as murmurs erupted in the village, some staring at me with awe on their faces.

The ridiculously shiny sword was revealed and I touched the virtues near the handle.

"Oh and another thing," Commander Tung's voice rang in my ear drums, villagers straining to hear what was being said. "The Emperor's offer still stands."

Everyone looked at me, their eyes burning holes as their faces blossomed in curiosity.

Although no one could understand the real meaning behind these words, I could see it in the Commander's eyes that not one but more people were patiently waiting for me.