Secrets: Part 1

(Night at the bungalow. Yaprak is pacing in her room with a notebook in her hand, trying to focus on the work from her internship. Her teacher had asked for a set of slogans, but she hasn't been able to think of a single one for an hour now. She tries doodling and writing random stuff, but her mind is still stuck to Ali's performance with Isik at the cafe.)

Yaprak: (tapping the pen to her temple) Okay, focus now. (closes her eyes to concentrate, but then re-opens them with a sigh) What the hell is going on with me? (throws the notebook on the bed)

(Her phone rings and her mother is on the other side of the video call)

Oya: Hello love! You don't even think of your parents now, do you?

Yaprak: Mom, I called you yesterday. Oh, God.

Oya: Yeah, before you ran off to the internship. We talked for only two minutes, darling.

Yaprak: Mom, please.

(Yaprak's father appears on the call)

Taner: My girl, what happened? What's with the sad face?

Yaprak: Hello, Dad. (picks up her notebook and shows it to them) Just a little trouble with the homework.

Oya: Yaprak, are you eating well girl? You look tired.

Yaprak: I am eating fine.

Taner: And are you paying for the groceries? I swear, Ali's parents are already doing enough with that big house and the helping staff, as it is.

Yaprak: Don't worry, Dad. We have sorted it all between us. I pay for the grocery, Sinan and Gokhan bear the house help's costs and Oguz takes care of the electricity bills.

(Both Oya and Taner nod approvingly)

Taner: (smiling) You all have become such grown up kids now. Taking responsibilities and all.

Oya: Honey, convey our love to the boys. Okay?

Yaprak: Okay, Mom. I am hanging up now, okay? I still have the homework to do. Love you! (Her parents nod and say their 'love you's before they hang up. Yaprak smiles longingly, clearly missing her parents)

(She gets up and paces in the corridor. Gokhan and Ali's rooms are across the hall from her room, on the second floor. Oguz and Sinan's rooms are on the first floor on either side of the living room. It's past eleven already, however there are voices from the living room downstairs. Yaprak climbs down the stairs to find Sinan on the couch, on a call with Ece. He smiles and puts an arm around her as she sits beside him, while he is still on the phone)

Sinan: Of course, dear. I can meet you tomorrow. (pauses) No, it won't be a problem. (pause) I think so too. Have you talked to your dad about it? (pause) I am here, don't worry.

(She smiles back and listens for a while, watching the hopefulness on Sinan's face before giving his arm a squeeze and then walks out into the backyard. Gokhan is there at the table, surfing various job websites)

Yaprak: Gokkusum? What are you doing?

Gokhan: Searching for a job, dear. Have a seat.

Yaprak: (leans to the table) What about the one at the mall?

Gokhan: (sighs) I quit that one.

Yaprak: Why?

Gokhan: I can't handle people, Yaprak. Every day there is another of those weird ones showing up.

Yaprak: Has it something to do with Naz?

Gokhan: (breathes out) Actually, you know what? I was thinking of taking my time off all this relationship stuff. I realized that it keeps messing up with my head, this love and all. I am always getting insecure and agitated, sometimes upset for no reason at all. What kind of love is this, Yaprak? I am always on the edge, always worried that she will leave me.

4N1K Summer Loveजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें